Topic Title: Display Flickering: Dell M4600 AMD Firepro 5950 Docking Station Dual Dell U2312HM
Topic Summary: One of two external displays is intermittantly flickering
Created On: 04/23/2013 07:37 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/23/2013 07:37 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
darylm
Peon

I have a Dell M4600 laptop with AMD Firepro 5950, a Dell Advanced Docking Station and Dual Dell U2312HM displays connected using DisplayPort. OS is windows 7 pro x64, updated. Driver is 9.003.3 from AMD website. Originally, I had only one external display and there were no problems. Recently I got a second external display and now I'm experiencing flickering of one unit. When I switch the displays, the problem stays with the port, so the displays seem not to be the problem. The problem seems worse after resuming from power conservation mode, but it sometimes happens after being used for a while as well. Sometimes, if I turn off the external displays and turn them back on, the problem goes away for a while. I tried running the hardware diagnostics. It will only test the main laptop display and one external display at a time, but there is not an obvious problem. Is there a fix for this? Any suggestions to determine the cause?

06/19/2013 11:53 AM

Author Icon
darylm
Peon

Bumping this topic to see if anyone has any suggestions.

The problem only occurs after resuming from power conservation mode. The primary display (which is one of the external displays) flickers severely. It doesn't make any difference which of the displays is being used as the primary display. If I disable the external displays, (using Windows-P) reverting back to the laptop display, then re-enable the external displays, the problem usually goes away. Sometimes I have to do it a couple of times. Occasionally a reboot is required.

It seems to be a driver problem, but I'm using the most recent version of the driver, which is 9.003.3.3.

Is there any way to report this to AMD or does someone from AMD read this forum?

07/12/2013 11:44 AM

Author Icon
Farhad@AMD
Buffed

You have the option to raise a ticket on the following link:
http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/ticketprocess.aspx

We have released 12.104.2 driver:
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/fire/Pages/fire_dell_win7.aspx

Not enough information available here to make any suggestions, like info on docking station make and model, graphics input/output on both docking station and monitors used, resolution and refresh rate, display mode (extended, cloned, eyefinity) and so on. 

-------------------------

AMD Customer Care

The information presented in this document is for informational purposes only and may contain technical inaccuracies, omissions and typographical errors. Links to third party sites are for convenience only, and no endorsement is implied

08/14/2013 06:40 PM

Author Icon
tgdrake
Peon

I would recommend you go back to the driver that shipped with the laptop from Dell, have seen this with other Dell laptops, the 6410 for example has this issue, try using the older driver from Dell and this should resolve the issue.

03/26/2014 11:38 AM

Author Icon
darylm
Peon

Here is the configuration:

Dell Precision M4600 laptop

• BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. A13, 8/9/2012
  • Windows 7 Professional, Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
  • Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2720QM CPU @ 2.20GHz, 2201 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
  • 8 GB RAM
  • 1920x1080 display

AMD (ATI) FirePro M5950 (FireGL) Mobility Pro Graphics

• BIOS Version 013.012.000.027
  • BIOS Part Number BR041418-001
  • Driver Packaging Version 13.251.1-131223a-167126C-Dell

Dell E-Port Plus PRO2X Docking Station

2 x Dell U2312HM DP 1920x1080 Displays

The docking station has dual display ports which I am using to connect the displays. The built-in display is 1920x1080 @ 60 Hz and 32 bit. The external displays are 1920x1080 @ 75 Hz and 32 bit. The displays are configured in extended mode, so all three are usable. The primary display is one of the U2312 displays.

When the computer boots up connected to the docking station, everything works perfectly. The power management is set to dim the displays after 10 minutes and turn them off after 15 minutes. Usually, when the displays turn off, one of them flickers after they turned back on. The flickering is random. Sometimes it stays off for a second or two before coming back on. I've seen the problem on both display ports. I can do several things to get it to stop flickering. I can reboot, which is a hassle. I can unplug the display port and replug it. I can use WINDOWS-P to disable extended mode for a few seconds, then re-enable it. Sometimes it takes a few times to get that to work. Then everything is stable again.

The docking station has been replaced. The mainboard and graphics adapter have been replaced. The operating system has been reinstalled. The only thing left is the driver.

Is this sufficient information?

Edited: 03/26/2014 at 03:40 PM by darylm
Statistics
86367 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.