Topic Title: 3 Video Card Configuration
Topic Summary: Configuration Changes not saving after reboot
Created On: 05/30/2013 12:55 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05/30/2013 12:55 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
tomsimano
Peon

I recently built a machine which will be outputting to a video wall of 10monitors.  The machine itself is a :

Dell Precision T7600 (which has support for 3 video cards.)  
Dual Xeon E5-2603 Processors 
2x 600GB SAS Hard Drives  (RAID 1)
16GB DDR3 Memory
3 x V7900 Video Cards
Win7 x64bit 

Outputting to 10 monitors currently 9 identical 20" LCD Monitors DP to DVI , 1 x 42" HDTV via HDMI.

I had issues using the AMD Software to configure all monitors to display, it would bog the computer down where it was close to impossible to assign and order the monitors.  Also 2 monitors wouldn't display properly, or it would strip the resolution down to 1024 x 768 on one or two random monitors. After struggling with this for a bit, I decided to try to arrange the monitors using the Windows 7 built in display configuration tools.  Because I am going to be mousing around amongst the monitors, I would hit Identify to show the numbering on the monitors, and I swapped cabling so monitor 1 was on the the right monitor, monitor 2 was the next monitor and so on.....

This worked great, I didn't have any kind of lag and I could essentially move mouse left to right with no issues.  

Here's the problem, after I rebooted the PC, the monitors numbering all changed.  I could still technically move the mouse left to right, but now the monitor on the far left could be monitor 8.  Windows 7 would show this in the screen.

Whew...this is long...but bear with me...

The application I am using allows you to show a video on whatever screen you want.  So if I think I want to display this video on screen 3, I assign a specific video to screen 3.  Well if the numbering changes, screen 3 may be the monitor that is furthest from me.  It does not make logical sense that screen 3 is any random monitor.

I applied a Windows 7 hotfix to see if that would fix it, but everytime I reboot I lose those settings.  

Does anyone have experience with something to this magnitude?  Or, if someone has been successful using the AMD software, and getting around the slowness that happens with all those monitors, I'd love to hear it as well!

Thanks!  

07/12/2013 10:32 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Kent@AMD
Grinding Levels

While it doesn't make sense that Monitor 3 is a random monitor, the way that Windows allocates numbers is that it's completely arbitrary based on which monitors send an electrical signal to the card/motherboard first. As such, you could have a configuration of 123, and on restart it goes to 312, but the mouse will still move the same way.

Windows keeps the monitor's EDID information (basically settings and unique identifier) in the registry, so it always knows that your left monitor is on the left, but the number allocated to it (which the Catalyst software also uses) is arbitrarily given on reboot based on the connection, so it's not possible to set those numbers without booting with monitor 1, and individually plugging the monitors in, in order.

As for the slowness, the fact that one of the PCIe buses is only wired at 4x will definitely slow things up on that card. Is it the one in the PCIe 4x bus that is the slowest, or has it spread to each card for settings? As a point of testing, does removing the V7900 from the x4 slot remove the lag?

-------------------------
AMD Customer Care

The information presented in this do*****ent is for informational purposes only and may contain technical inaccuracies, omissions and typographical errors. Links to third party sites are for convenience only, and no endorsement is implied.
Statistics
81014 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.