Topic Title: FirePro v7900
Topic Summary: Driver stops responding and recovers
Created On: 07/13/2013 02:17 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/13/2013 02:17 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
druuzil
Grinding Levels

Ok.  I just got this card on Craigslist and it has extremely odd issues.  Before you install a driver, everthing works fine (2d stuff anyway like web browsing).  Once a driver is installed however, the problems arise.  Note I have tried both with the driver supplied via Windows Update, and the driver directly pulled down from the AMD website.Here's what happens.  When windows starts, almost immediately the computer starts to freeze up.  The screen goes black, and eventually recovers (for like 4 seconds) and says that "the driver has stopped responding but has successfully recovered".  This becomes a loop where it just repeatedly goes unresponsive and then recovers.  It makes the computer unuseable.Here's the truly bizarre part.  If I go into my BIOS, and change the option that lets you choose which PCI Express Generation you want to support (Auto, Gen1, Gen2 or Gen3), the card works fine for that one time in windows.  It also doesn't matter which option I select.  So for example I set it to "Auto", when I get into Windows, the card will work fine, but if I reboot, the next time I get into windows, the crashes begin immediately.  Then I reboot, go into the BIOS and set it to any other option (Gen2 for instance).  Going into Windows, the card will again work fine until I reboot, at which time it once again starts screwing up.How can the card work, and then not work, and then work again?  I have tested this on 2 desktops, but my other desktop does not have a BIOS option to select the PCI Express Gen, so the FirePro NEVER works with that computer.  It always does the driver crashing loop.My question is this:Is there a known incompatibility with the FirePro v7900 and Gigabtye motherboards?  Both my desktops use Gigabyte boards.  Also, I use Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate on both my machines.  Known driver issue in that case?  Is there an older driver known to work better than the current FirePro driver?  I've googled the issue and have been unable to find any evidence that this card shouldn't work on specific brands of motherboards.Any suggestions?  I plan to contact Gigabtye and/or AMD directly on Monday when they are open for business.

-------------------------

My Rig:

i7 3930k w/Corsiar H100i
Gigabyte X79-UP4 Motherboard 
Creative SB Recon3D 
2x 128GB Kingston SSDNow! SATA III in RAID 0 
2x Sapphire R9 290x in Crossfire
Antec TruPower 1000w PSU
LG Blu Ray Burner
1.5TB Storage
Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 1600
Cooler Master HAF 932

07/15/2013 04:09 PM

Author Icon
Farhad@AMD
Nerfed

Sounds like a defective board.

AMD Customer Care

The information presented in this document is for informational purposes only and may contain technical inaccuracies, omissions and typographical errors. Links to third party sites are for convenience only, and no endorsement is implied

07/16/2013 11:55 PM

Author Icon
druuzil
Grinding Levels

Which board?  Since the card didn't work properly on either motherboard that it was tested on, how are you drawing the conclusion that either board is bad?  Especially when all other graphics cards that have been tested on those boards have worked flawlessly?  Or when you say "bad board" are you referring to the FirePro?Please elaborate on your answer.

My Rig:

i7 3930k w/Corsiar H100i
Creative SB Recon3D 
Antec TruPower 1000w PSU
LG Blu Ray Burner
1.5TB Storage
Cooler Master HAF 932

07/17/2013 03:42 PM

Author Icon
Farhad@AMD
Nerfed

Now I am a bit confused, by board I mean your graphics card FirePro V7900 and you have indicated 2x 2x Sapphire 7970 VaporX 6GB  under your system specs. Can you clarify?

AMD Customer Care

The information presented in this document is for informational purposes only and may contain technical inaccuracies, omissions and typographical errors. Links to third party sites are for convenience only, and no endorsement is implied

07/17/2013 05:48 PM

Author Icon
druuzil
Grinding Levels

Please read my actual post.  It fully states what the problem was, what troubleshooting was performed, and that I tried the card on 2 separate machines.

The specs of the machine with the BIOS options to change the PCI Express Gen are:

i5 3570
Gigabyte H61M-SPV (REV2) BIOS Version FH
4GB DDR3
Thermaltake 850w Modular 80+ Bronze PSU
Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate

Machine has worked fine with an AMD H7970 and an Nvidia GTX550ti.  The FirePro is the only card that has malfunctioned in it.

The specs in my sig are my "gaming rig" which I also tested the FirePro on, and had the same results, except that machine has no BIOS option to change the PCI Express Generation, so the FirePro always goes into a driver-crash loop in that machine.

Because both of my desktops are using "Gigabyte" branded motherboards, my question at this point is this:  Is the FirePro v7900 incompatible with Gigabyte boards? 

My Rig:

i7 3930k w/Corsiar H100i
Creative SB Recon3D 
Antec TruPower 1000w PSU
LG Blu Ray Burner
1.5TB Storage
Cooler Master HAF 932

07/17/2013 09:27 PM

Author Icon
druuzil
Grinding Levels

Sorry I believe I understand you now.  You were agreeing that the FirePro was probably bad.

Got it.  Sorry for any confusion.

My Rig:

i7 3930k w/Corsiar H100i
Creative SB Recon3D 
Antec TruPower 1000w PSU
LG Blu Ray Burner
1.5TB Storage
Cooler Master HAF 932

Statistics
85487 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.