Topic Title: Distance?
Topic Summary: Can I send a signal more than 5m without re-clocking
Created On: 08/05/2013 04:48 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/05/2013 04:48 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Chaucer
Peon

Hi, I am considering using a W600 on an installation, but I need to go more than 5m and want to avoid either fibre or third party transmitter receiver systems.  How far could I reasonably expect to go over copper cable after converting to HDMI or DVI?  I would be looking to run full 1080p at 60Hz.  If I buy a cable with a built in reclocker that takes power from an HDMI source device down the line, will the W600 provide enough power?

08/05/2013 01:23 PM

Author Icon
Mime
Forum Moderator

I'm not sure what the spec says the max distance is, but I've seen HDMI cables up to 50 feet(15 meters) long.  Finding one about 5 meters shouldn't be much trouble.

-------------------------

Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
Troll Hunter

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

08/06/2013 12:03 PM

Author Icon
Chaucer
Peon

Hi Mime, thanks for this, you wouldn't happen to know if the card supports 5v on the output which would be enough to power some re-clocking devices. This is a fairly standard spec for HDMI devices, but is not mentioned anywhere in the specs or user manual.  I have tested some graphics cards with a single DP++ output and they do support 5v, but I won't be buying a Firepro unless it does.

08/06/2013 02:46 PM

Author Icon
Farhad@AMD
Grinding Levels

+5V is an HDMI requirement. As a manufacturer of graphics card AMD is strictly maintaining the industry standards. 

-------------------------

AMD Customer Care

The information presented in this document is for informational purposes only and may contain technical inaccuracies, omissions and typographical errors. Links to third party sites are for convenience only, and no endorsement is implied

Statistics
88923 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 5 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.