Topic Title: FirePro v4900 fan noise
Topic Summary: Fan seems to have reached end of life after less than 2 years
Created On: 08/07/2013 11:53 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/07/2013 11:53 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Ricky42
Peon

My FirePro v4900 onboard fan seems to have reached the end of life after just 20 months in operation. So far I had two complete shutdowns due to "System shutdown due to graphics card overheating" from the 'amdkmdag' driver (Windows 7). The fan is making some noise from time to time and seems to slow down. The workstation case is cleaned on a regular basis and the cooler assembly was blown with pressured air. It almost sounds like a cockroach is going from time to time for a rollercoaster ride on my fan.The GPU-Z utility shows a GPU temp of 72 degrees Celsius with a fan speed of 52% (with no real load).I am not sure if this would fall under 'Three year limited product repair / replacement warranty' or 'Advanced parts replacement option' ... but I would prefer to get a new fan instead of replacing the card.What are my options and is it possible to get the fan separately?Thanks!
 08/08/2013 11:24 AM

Author Icon
Farhad@AMD
Grinding Levels

Please proceed with an RMA request. We do not send parts, you will receive a replacement board. 

-------------------------

AMD Customer Care

The information presented in this document is for informational purposes only and may contain technical inaccuracies, omissions and typographical errors. Links to third party sites are for convenience only, and no endorsement is implied

08/13/2013 12:32 AM

Author Icon
Ricky42
Peon

Thanks for the quick reply.Unfortunately I am currently working outside the US and the RMA replacement would cost me much more than just ordering the fan. By the way, the fan noise is gone since the fan is now at a full standstill.I am now using a cpu fan in the interim and the GPU  is even cooler than with the original fan.Nevertheless, the Power Logic PLA06010S12H cooling fan is available incl shipping for just $20. Just not sure if that fan would be the right choice.Thanks!
 08/14/2013 05:13 PM

Author Icon
Farhad@AMD
Grinding Levels

Glad to hear that the V4900 works better now

-------------------------

AMD Customer Care

The information presented in this document is for informational purposes only and may contain technical inaccuracies, omissions and typographical errors. Links to third party sites are for convenience only, and no endorsement is implied

08/15/2013 09:52 AM

Author Icon
Ricky42
Peon

Yes, the v4900 was working better with the non-functioning fan and the external attached CPU fan.Nevertheless, I checked the internal v4900 fan and the fan itself is working fine.It seems that the v4900 has a design flaw in regard to the space between the rotating center of the fan and the heatsink center.The rotating part of the fan is constantly pushed into the center of the heatsink and after 20 months of use the fan model sticker was worn off in the center and caused the fan to stick to the heatsink.I increased the space between the fan center and the heatsink (using a piece of an old credit card) and the fan is now again moving freely without the friction on the heatsink.All seems to be working fine now. (I took photos for those interested)
Statistics
87394 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 4 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.