Topic Title: Can someone please explain a difference between a FirePro and Radeon for me?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/06/2013 06:36 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/06/2013 06:36 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
R2D2ftw27
Peon

Hi,I'm looking into buying a new pc ( well building actually ) for my brother as a thanks for all his help lately.Normally I'd jusy get a couple Radeon 7xxx series and CrossFire them together but I haven't build a new computer in almost 4 years so I'm a little out of date on my knowledge for current gen graphics hardware...I see FirePro cards for sale and have been trying to search for a comparison between then and a Radeon but I keep finding some people says it's the same and others say that it is either 'better' than Radeon or vice-versa so I'm a little confused.Mybrother plays some hard core games -but- he also does a lot of work in autocad, maya, and 3dsmax for his work. Should I get two Radeons or two FirePros..  -or- would it be best to get two of each considering the work he does?
 11/06/2013 12:03 PM

Author Icon
Marc@AMD
Forum Moderator

The FirePro graphics products are all based off Radeon GPU counter-parts.  For example, the FirePro V8800 is based off the Radeon HD5870.  However, the FirePro products offer significant performance improvements in programs like Maya and Autocad, because tweaks to the hardware and (more importantly) drivers are done.  The "3D work" involved with Solidworks is entirely different than the "3D work" invovled with playing games.  FirePro cards also cost a lot more.

I have played many games quite happily with high-end FirePro graphics cards like the V8800, but that's because they were still high-end Radeon GPUs powering them.  I would expect the games to play well with something based off a Radeon HD5870.  However, it would be silly to pay the price of a V8800 for gaming, compared to what an HD5870 costs.

I would recommend purchasing a high-end Radeon graphics card to statisfy his gaming needs, and I suspect it'll have enough power to work well for his work-related applications.  If his work-flow and productivity needs demand the FirePro product than that would justify the cost of the FirePRO card.  You could likely spend as much as the cost of a high-end Radeon card on a FirePro card that will suit his needs, but then that FirePro card may be too low-end for gaming.  At that point, consider 2 computers may be the solution.

;Marc

-------------------------

AMD Customer Care

The information presented in this document is for informational purposes only and may contain technical inaccuracies, omissions and typographical errors. Links to third party sites are for convenience only, and no endorsement is implied.

11/06/2013 12:12 PM

Author Icon
R2D2ftw27
Peon

Hey, thank you very uch for your explaination between the two; this is much more understandable than everything else I found trying to google the answer, many thanks!! .            .Also I have one more question if I may; of the two kinds of cards; would they support "ray tracing" software as well as polygon?  I ask because he said something about raytracing not being the same thing as polygons but I have no idea what he meant..
 11/06/2013 02:07 PM

Author Icon
Marc@AMD
Forum Moderator

I haven't a clue, but I am looking into it.  The preliminary answer I have for you is that AMD is working with the software companies to implement OpenCL into their program's ray-tracing tools.

Update
Hopefully this will make sense to your brother.  I was told that we do not currently have an equivalent to iRay, but we do support ray tracing from a number of rendering packages such as Luxray and Optis.

;Marc

-------------------------

AMD Customer Care

The information presented in this document is for informational purposes only and may contain technical inaccuracies, omissions and typographical errors. Links to third party sites are for convenience only, and no endorsement is implied.

Edited: 11/06/2013 at 03:32 PM by Marc@AMD
Statistics
84297 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.