Topic Title: Two issues. Screen Tearing and no 5.1 audio over HDMI
Topic Summary: I have screen tearing with mirrored displays. I cannot send 5.1 surround sound over HDMI.
Created On: 12/23/2013 10:44 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/23/2013 10:44 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
charlesculp
Peon

I have a FirePro v4900 on my system here at home. I purchased this to fix the poor integrated video in SolidWorks (I run a SolidWorks blog on the side). It also allowed me to "mirror" displays, so I could better use my three video outputs. Here is what I do:

One monitor (vertical 3:4) on DVI
One monitor (1920x1080, Dell UltraSharp U2311H) on DisplayPort (with a VESA/AMD certified cable)
One Samsung TV on HDMI, with an AMD certified DisplayPort>HDMI dongle

I have the 1920x1080 monitor mirrored with the TV. When I look in my Windows 8.1 "Sound" settings, I see an "AMD HDMI Output:AMD High Definition Audio Device". When I click "Properties," then "Supported Formats," all I see is
Max Number of Channels: 2 
HDCP: Supported
etc...

I cannot ouput 5.1 audio like I want. What do I need to do so I can output 5.1 surround sound audio? I want to send HDMI to my samsung TV, which then sends digital audio to my receiver (too old for HDMI, but does support Dolby 5.1 surround). 

Issue #2:

Whenever the HDMI is plugged in, I get really bad screen tearing on my Dell monitor that is mirrored with the TV. I notice this when watching streaming video off of the web (I use Chrome). Is there any way to fix this? I scoured the Catalyst Control Center and saw no way to turn on vsync for streaming video. I assume this is an inherent problem because of different refresh rates of the TV vs monitor? Anyway, is there any way to fix this?

Thanks for the help.

I have a Core i5-3570K overclocked to a maximum of 4.3 GHz, 16GB RAM, and a Gigabit GA-Z87X-UD4H motherboard. 

01/18/2014 12:54 AM

Author Icon
noty
Peon

Relating Issue #2:

The Problem with tearing on dualmonitor-setups is the issue with the timing clocks on radeon cards.

You can use a Catalyst driver , which hasnt got any Idle-Clocks OR using Ati-Tray-Tools to keep your card at the max core/memory clock, not allowing to go into any idle-mode.

The advantage is, tearing is gone. The disadvantage is that your card will be running at a steady 100%-mode even when your PC is idling -> more power consumption + higher temperature.

01/18/2014 07:42 AM

Author Icon
charlesculp
Peon

Thanks for the post. I will look into it, although since then I have purchased a Chromecast, so I only need the Computer-HDMI connection for a few occasions, so I'm thinking of just doing a triple-screen thing instead.

I'm not a huge fan of running the video card on full-bore all the time if I don't need too.

Statistics
84124 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.