Topic Title: Lose Video When Rebooting Windows
Topic Summary: Cannot reboot Windows 7; must shut down instead
Created On: 01/02/2014 06:31 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/02/2014 06:31 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Jamil
Peon

I have an AMD FirePro W9000.  I am currently using the 13.25.18.1-beta-dtx32x64-165766 drivers.

The issue is that I lose all video whenever Windows 7 gets rebooted.  My LCD display either shows out of range or it may show a corrupt screen.  Usually, it shows out of range.  When this happens, I have to press the power button once or twice to have Windows then shutdown.  Next time it powers up, I see my display with no issue.

I installed the beta drivers hoping the issue would go away, but it did not.  I have this same issue using the latest released drivers of 13.152.4-whql-x32x64-163380.exe.

Windows runs at 2560x1440 resolution.  I am using the powered Accell B087B-003J UltraAV miniDisplayPort/DVI-D Dual-Link Adapter along with a dual link DVI cable that was supplied with my LCD panel. My LCD panel is a 27 inch ViewSonic VP2772.

My graphics card is running BIOS 015.031.000.000.

Is there a fix for this please?

01/30/2014 07:26 AM

Author Icon
Jamil
Peon

Okay -- this was due to an issue with all drivers I noted in my first post.

AMD released new drivers recently: 13.251.1-whql-x32x64-167361.exe

After installing these drivers, I am able to reboot Windows 7 normally and not lose video.

01/30/2014 09:26 AM

Author Icon
Jamil
Peon

I just rebooted again after my computer had been sitting idle powered on for an hour or so.  After hearing the Windows starup sound, my LCD panel showed no input.

There was a behavior change with the new drivers, but I still have some issue some of the time. I have not pinpointed the exact cause.  What I did do was unplug the USB cable for the Accell powered adapter. I waited a few seconds and then plugged it back in.  After doing this, I see my display.  The issue seems to be related to this display adapter...whatever that issue may be.

I will look at getting rid of this thing as soon as I find a high quality mini display port cable able to support 2560x1440 resolution. My LCD panel has a mini DP jack, so that will be all I need.

02/11/2014 06:46 PM

Author Icon
Jamil
Peon

I just received a Belkin 4ft/1.5m mini displayport cable today.  I removed the Accell adapter and connected my new cable to my LCD panel and computer. I can now reboot Windows with no issues at all.

Additionally, I configured my LCD panel to use displayport 1.2. The image looks so much better now, and the colors are richer, more detailed, and look brilliant. The only downside to using DP 1.2 is that I only see an image when my computer reaches the Windows logon screen. I no longer see BIOS messages or console text (like when running chkdsk).

02/14/2014 02:08 PM

Author Icon
Jamil
Peon

The new cable worked fine for less than two days.  Now with it plugged into the socket of the video card and my LCD panel, I see no signal from the LCD panel.

I am back to using the Accell adapter and dual link DVI cable for the time being.  I don't know what went wrong with the new cable.  I am ordering a different certified displayport cable to see where the problem is (bad cable? bad video card? bad lcd panel?)

02/21/2014 10:58 PM

Author Icon
Jamil
Peon

I got the new cable today.  It is a mini display port to regular display port cable. I removed the Accell adapter and connected the new cable to the video card and LCD panel. It works, and I see my display with no issue.  I once again configured my LCD panel for display port 1.2.

Hopefully this new cable works longer than the Belkin cable did.

Statistics
80930 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.