Topic Title: Graphics card showing as "standard vga graphics adapter"
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01/27/2014 05:17 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/27/2014 05:17 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Rogue75
Peon

I have a Dell Precision M6800 running Windows 7 with an AMD FirePro M6100 FireGL V graphics card. I uninstalled the drivers and AMD Catalyst software to install a specific driver from the Soldiworks Graphic Card Drivers page (under the Dell M6700 model as the M6800 doesn't show that graphics card). My problem is, that the video card is showing in device manager as "standard vga graphics adapter." I couldn't get the driver to install as under custom settings, it wouldn't even show the display driver as an option (just audio driver, catalyst software, etc.). In the BIOS, I changed the setting back to allow switchable graphics (the motherboard Intel video card), and then the AMD card showed up in device manager, but again this video card driver, and the newest one straight from AMD's site, don't list a display driver as an option to install. I've also tried to remove the driver in device manager and install it through there, and it reverts to the "standard vga graphics adapter." I'm pulling out my hair here. Thanks.

[EDIT] Manually updating the driver via automatic or manually pointing it to the driver folder says that Windows is already using the correct driver. Running AMD autodetect says "We were unable to find your product or OS."

Edited: 01/27/2014 at 06:42 PM by Rogue75
 01/27/2014 07:50 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Rogue75
Peon

I found the solution.

Apparently some hardware companies change hardware ID's on these cards which doesn't allow other drivers to see these cards. In this case Dell had a different hardware ID for my card. I got the driver from Dell's site and it was able to recognize and install the video card driver. After that, I was able to install the Solidworks graphics driver for this card.

Statistics
85403 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 4 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.