Topic Title: how to help: Forcing Linux to run in 8-bit pseudocolor mode
Topic Summary: Only native in 24-bit, need to support legacy 8-bit visuals RHEL6.3
Created On: 03/21/2013 04:01 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/21/2013 04:01 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
ToeJam87
Peon

Greetings,

They system I am running is a 32-bit installation of RHEL 6.3 with the AMD catalyst 13.1 linux driver installed.

The Hardware Platform is a Panasonic Toughbook CF-52 with an ATI Radeon™ HD7750M graphics card. Specsheet can be seen here: ftp://ftp.panasonic.com/pub/Panasonic/toughbook/specsheets/TB-52_ss.pdf

I am in need of supporting some older development software in my office and it all runs in 8 bit color mode. I am unable to set the color mode to anything but 24 or the xserver fails to start.

From the linux driver faq:

Q9: What colour modes are currently supported?
A9:

24-bit True Colour is currently the only native colour mode for the ATI Proprietary Linux Driver. 8-bit colour can be achieved using the pseudo-colour visuals feature, but may not work in all applications. 16-bit colour is not supported; if any of your critical applications require 16-bit colour, you should not install the ATI Proprietary Linux Driver.

I am unable to find any documentation on the AMD Site or forums to find how to use the 8-bit pseudo-color visuals feature and was hoping to find some help on the forum. It would be preferable to force the entire desktop environment and all applications to 8-bit mode, rather than just application I am having trouble with--most of these programs are brought up through various launchers and I don't have access to all of the start-up scripts---etc.

Thanks much for anyone who has time to answer this question.

Statistics
88900 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.