Topic Title: AMD Radeon 8750 not working on Linux
Topic Summary:
Created On: 04/12/2013 04:22 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/12/2013 04:22 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
chasha
Peon

Hello, I'm new to this forum but not new to Linux. I've been using it for quite a while now and previous radeon cards that I've owned always worked with AMDCCCLE.

But this new card on my new laptop doesn't seem to be working with AMDCCCLE...I'm on the integrated card by default. I'm on a Gentoo based Linux system(Sabayon Linux).

Would appreciate any advice on what to do. Here's the output of my hardware related stuff incase this helps:

http://pastebin.com/ZSkiFvkm

Thanks.

Edited: 04/12/2013 at 04:42 AM by chasha
 04/12/2013 08:06 AM

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

There's no windows support either - yet. Not even for some 7k series cards (e.g. 7790), and 8k isn't released yet (apart from some laptops). You need to be a bit patient. As we know that AMD is terribly so when it comes to supporting linux, I suggest you keep your eyes on the development of open source drivers. They might arrive sooner.

-------------------------

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 @ 3120MHz | RAM: Kingmax 2x2GB DDR2 800 @ 833MHz| MoBo: MSI K9A2 CF v1.0 (BIOS: 1.D)| GPU: Asus HD 6850 1024MB (DirectCu) @ 835/1135MHz | Display: L24FHD | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad | OS: MS Windows 3.11 Pro x64

04/12/2013 09:57 AM

Author Icon
chasha
Peon

Hi thanks for your message. So...what about windows? I mean can u give me an estimate on how long it might take for 8x series drivers to come for windows?

I just bought my new laptop like a month back...and what I don't understand is like why does AMD not develop the driver first before releasing it's cards on new devices. I don't expect support for linux, but atleast I should have something that just works on windows without having to wait for like a year, etc.

Anyway thanks for your advice on using OS drivers on Linux...which still lacks support....it seems like the integrated card is running fine..but the purpose of me buying this laptop with a decent graphics card seems to have failed.

04/12/2013 06:59 PM

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

Originally posted by: chasha what I don't understand is like why does AMD not develop the driver first before releasing it's cards on new devices

Because AMD only designs the chip, TMSC manufactures it, and there's a third manufacturer who designs a PCB and puts that chip on it. This last one is who released the card. Then there's a fourth manufacturer who builds the laptop, and puts the card in it. It may sound weird, but this fourth one is responsible for providing drivers.

Even weirder, that these laptop drivers are made out of the original drivers made for desktop cards. So until there are no desktop cards, there are no official drivers, and there's nothing that fourth manufacturer can use to build it's own laptop driver.

Yes, it's crazy. First you need to wait until the desktop cards get released. Then wait until the base drivers get modded by the manufacturer for the laptop. Then wait until they release them on their website. Until then, there should be a beta driver on a disc that came with the laptop, or preinstalled with the OS.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 @ 3120MHz | RAM: Kingmax 2x2GB DDR2 800 @ 833MHz| MoBo: MSI K9A2 CF v1.0 (BIOS: 1.D)| GPU: Asus HD 6850 1024MB (DirectCu) @ 835/1135MHz | Display: L24FHD | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad | OS: MS Windows 3.11 Pro x64

04/13/2013 01:44 AM

Author Icon
chasha
Peon

Funny thing is...my laptop didn't come pre-installed with any OS lol...and I find it better that way since I'm a full time Linux user...it results in cheaper price and I don't have to deal with removing windows & bloat in the first place.

Also thanks for letting me know about the process, I had really no idea it worked that way

But I was curious about Nvidia....does it have the same process of driver dev like AMD? Also what's the state of Nvidia's driver for Linux? Are they at any better state and do they also lack support?

Thanks.

04/13/2013 04:30 AM

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

As far as I know the process is mostly the same for nvidia, the laptop manufacturer provides the drivers. It's not a choice of AMD and nvidia but those manufacturers and the reason is that they want to customize the drivers for their hardware.

I don't know how soon nvidia releases drivers for new cards. I do know that linux driver support is much better if you look at performance only, thogh nvidia doesn't help the community when it comes to open source drivers.

AMD linux drivers are more stable, easier to install, but have serious performance issues when it comes to gaming. However, AMD helps the community maintaining open source driver. It just happened recently that they released the code which allows the open source drivers to access UVD features.

Interesting fact: Nvidia doesn't support Optimus cards under linux at all. So it's a bad situation if you have such latop and want to use linux.

04/14/2013 05:24 AM

Author Icon
chasha
Peon

Interesting fact: Nvidia doesn't support Optimus cards under linux at all. So it's a bad situation if you have such latop and want to use linux.

Ya that's why I chose to go for radeon over other nividia powered laptops...but I hope I made the right choice

Anyway, I hope the driver dev. scenario changes cos platforms like Steam, etc. are moving towards Linux...and in a few years time I'm pretty sure Linux will be a major gaming platform with steam box and all...so vendors should consider taking it seriously.

04/14/2013 11:06 AM

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

Originally posted by: chasha Anyway, I hope the driver dev. scenario changes cos platforms like Steam, etc. are moving towards Linux...and in a few years time I'm pretty sure Linux will be a major gaming platform with steam box and all...so vendors should consider taking it seriously.

I agree, but that "few years" will probably be 20 or 30, so not literally "a few".

04/14/2013 11:43 AM

Author Icon
chasha
Peon

I agree, but that "few years" will probably be 20 or 30, so not literally "a few".

Lol...I'll be grandpa by then heheh...atleast my grandsons will enjoy the taste the power of Linux

Statistics
84349 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.