Topic Title: Horrifyingly Bad Performance + Glitches with Radeon HD 7950 in Linux
Topic Summary:
Created On: 05/30/2013 07:20 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05/30/2013 07:20 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
mmstick
Peon

I've owned this Radeon HD 7950 for over a year now and the degree of support for these graphics cards on Linux is a most embarassing feat.

My system is Sabertooth 990FX with AMD FX-8120 @ 4GHz with 16GB DDR3 and Radeon HD 7950. CPU governor is always on performance and I do not use a compositor (compositeless XFCE).

* Catalyst 13.4 and 13.6 Beta still has worse performance than the first drivers for 7xxx on Windows.

* Many games (Steam and Wine) are either completely unplayable or have extremely bad performance, graphical issues, and input lag.

* TF2 is unplayable, the main menu is laggy and in-game FPS is ~1-5.

* DODS has input lag and FPS issues as well, among many graphical glitches.

* Steam overlay massively damages framerates to the teens.

* 2D performance is atrocious, much like the horrible 3D performance. Better not try to play ANY games at all in Linux with Radeon HD 7xxx.

* OpenCL performance is actually significantly better in Linux, however at the cost of 10-300x lower graphical performance (literally) than Windows.

* Looking at the changelog for 13.6 Beta, what has the driver development team been doing in the last month and a half? The changelog is so small it looks like it could have been programmed in a single day. Why are there so many Windows beta releases when the performance on Windows is already solid? Can't these guys make Linux a priority over Windows at this point?

* Compiz freezes the screen whenever a user drags icon on the Unity launcher, double clicks on the launcher, or installs software from the Ubuntu Software Center as an icon is added to the launcher. This is why I'm stuck to living on a compositless Xfce DE.

* Open Source driver has a massive amount of black flickering boxes all over the screen.

* AMD really needs to be communicating properly with Valve and looking over the github: https://github.com/ValveSoftware/steam-for-linux/issues?labels=AMD+drivers&state=open

In other words, it's completely broken with no sign of hope.

Edited: 06/01/2013 at 03:40 AM by mmstick
 05/30/2013 07:47 AM

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

Either the 7xxx driver is completely different from the 6xxx driver I'm using, or your system has different issues as well. I agree that linux performance is bad but not nearly as bad as you describe.

A note: If it's really that bad for you, start using open source drivers. You'll see a great improvement as most source games are completely playable.

-------------------------

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 @ 3120MHz | RAM: Kingmax 2x2GB DDR2 800 @ 833MHz| MoBo: MSI K9A2 CF v1.0 (BIOS: 1.D)| GPU: Asus HD 6850 1024MB (DirectCu) @ 835/1135MHz | Display: L24FHD | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad | OS: MS Windows 3.11 Pro x64

05/30/2013 10:21 AM

Author Icon
mmstick
Peon

Originally posted by: Eydee Either the 7xxx driver is completely different from the 6xxx driver I'm using, or your system has different issues as well. I agree that linux performance is bad but not nearly as bad as you describe.

A note: If it's really that bad for you, start using open source drivers. You'll see a great improvement as most source games are completely playable.

There is a huge difference between Radeon HD 6000 series (VLI4/5) and Radeon HD 7000 series (GCN). The difference is so great that the driver has to be completely rewritten from scratch for GCN hardware. The problems with 7xxx cards are well known in the Linux community.

Here is the thing, I can't use open source drivers because I rely on the OpenCL functionality of the proprietary drivers. Open source drivers for GCN hardware is also abysmal.

05/30/2013 11:35 AM

Author Icon
sarobi
Peon

Originally posted by: mmstick
Originally posted by: Eydee Either the 7xxx driver is completely different from the 6xxx driver I'm using, or your system has different issues as well. I agree that linux performance is bad but not nearly as bad as you describe.

There is a huge difference between Radeon HD 6000 series (VLI4/5) and Radeon HD 7000 series (GCN). The difference is so great that the driver has to be completely rewritten from scratch for GCN hardware. The problems with 7xxx cards are well known in the Linux community.

Here is the thing, I can't use open source drivers because I rely on the OpenCL functionality of the proprietary drivers. Open source drivers for GCN hardware is also abysmal.

What about OpenGL performance in professional applications?

05/30/2013 12:36 PM

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

Originally posted by: sarobi

You mean CAD, 3D modelling, photo/video editing and stuff like that? They don't rely on performance as much as games. If I have to guess, both the open source and proprietary drivers should work. You should try them and use the one which you like more.

-------------------------

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 @ 3120MHz | RAM: Kingmax 2x2GB DDR2 800 @ 833MHz| MoBo: MSI K9A2 CF v1.0 (BIOS: 1.D)| GPU: Asus HD 6850 1024MB (DirectCu) @ 835/1135MHz | Display: L24FHD | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad | OS: MS Windows 3.11 Pro x64

05/30/2013 12:47 PM

Author Icon
sarobi
Peon

Originally posted by: Eydee
Originally posted by: sarobi

You mean CAD, 3D modelling, photo/video editing and stuff like that? They don't rely on performance as much as games. If I have to guess, both the open source and proprietary drivers should work. You should try them and use the one which you like more.

In may case it's Maya, Motionbuilder, Softimage and Houdini and my own OpenGL applications.

05/30/2013 08:58 PM

Author Icon
mmstick
Peon

Considering I have issues even with something as simple as desktop graphics at times, I doubt HD 7xxx on Linux is useful for any professional graphic work. Who knows how many years it will take before AMD gets their act together and codes a functional driver.

05/30/2013 10:04 PM

Author Icon
sarobi
Peon

Originally posted by: mmstick Considering I have issues even with something as simple as desktop graphics at times, I doubt HD 7xxx on Linux is useful for any professional graphic work. Who knows how many years it will take before AMD gets their act together and codes a functional driver.

Thanks, that's pretty sad. I guess I have to go with nVidia...

05/31/2013 05:59 AM

Author Icon
mmstick
Peon

NVIDIA does have better drivers, but honestly you are better off with Windows if you are buying the latest hardware until companies like AMD and NVIDIA start treating Linux like a first world citizen instead of trying to ignore it.

06/01/2013 03:38 AM

Author Icon
mmstick
Peon

Now I remember why we should never use the open source driver with GCN. A massive amount of bizarre black flickering all over the place. It's either fglrx or prepare to get a seizure/migraine and have a very hard time trying to read the screen.

Statistics
84844 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.