Topic Title: Catalyst 13.4 on Open SUSE fails
Topic Summary: Standard install generates a need for files that it can't find.
Created On: 06/16/2013 12:31 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 06/16/2013 12:31 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
AttoAMD
Peon

The AMD Catalyst driver ver 13.4 generates the following error after installing OpenSUSE12.3 clean, and updating everything automatically.allSupported adapter detected.Check if system has the tools required for installation.fglrx installation requires that the system have kernel headers for 3.7 release.  /lib/modules/3.7.10-1.11-desktop/build/include/generated/uapi/linux/version.h cannot be found on this system.One or more tools required for installation cannot be found on the system. Install the required tools before installing the fglrx driver.Optionally, run the installer with --force option to install without the tools.Forcing install will disable AMD hardware acceleration and may make your system unstable. Not recommended.The following commands were run to attempt to install this.sudo zypper install kernel-sourcesudo zypper install -t pattern devel_C_C++Catalyst offers the option of generating a custom install for my SUSE 12.3 version.  After selecting it, it says that this will require 1mb of space(which can't be possible) in the current directory, and then fails to generate any file at all.  A search for any *.run files only displays the extracted and renamed AMD-Linux driver.  The file name mentioned above is not offered for installation from YAST.  This is an old Intel Core2Duo with 2 gigs of RAM on 160gig hard drive, with an ATI 6xxx Cedar series PCIe card.
 06/17/2013 03:32 PM

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

Do you have the kernel headers installed? Do you have build tools installed?

-------------------------

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 @ 3120MHz | RAM: Kingmax 2x2GB DDR2 800 @ 833MHz| MoBo: MSI K9A2 CF v1.0 (BIOS: 1.D)| GPU: Asus HD 6850 1024MB (DirectCu) @ 835/1135MHz | Display: L24FHD | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad | OS: MS Windows 3.11 Pro x64

06/18/2013 04:01 AM

Author Icon
AttoAMD
Peon

Kernel Headers were mentioned in the first error message, however the name of the kernel header file that needs to be installed in YAST remains a mystery to me.  Obviously the headers were not included in the source code, and the build tools were not a part of devel_C_C+.  Originally it asked for "gcc" something, so I installed "gcc" everything.  The open source AMD driver installed without an error message.
 06/18/2013 08:59 AM

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

This is just me using google, I'm not familiar with zypper, so it may or may not work:

zypper in kernel-source kernel-syms linux-kernel-headers
module-init-tools make gcc

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 @ 3120MHz | RAM: Kingmax 2x2GB DDR2 800 @ 833MHz| MoBo: MSI K9A2 CF v1.0 (BIOS: 1.D)| GPU: Asus HD 6850 1024MB (DirectCu) @ 835/1135MHz | Display: L24FHD | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad | OS: MS Windows 3.11 Pro x64

07/04/2013 07:21 AM

Author Icon
MinecraftMan
Peon

I'm having the same exact problem. My graphics card is a AMD Radeon HD 7850. I am on openSUSE 12.3. The graphics card cost $200, and it's really good, so I DEFINITELY am not buying a new one. Please help.

Sincerely, MinecraftMan.

EDIT: Also, your solution didn't work.

Linux, Minecraft, you name it.
gif

(Enderman doing charleston in grieferman. For minecraft fans, link to grieferman is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDRDEyLB-ks.

Edited: 07/04/2013 at 07:30 AM by MinecraftMan
 07/18/2013 03:50 AM

Author Icon
pvh
Peon

The procedure for installing the fglrx driver under openSUSE is described here:

http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:AMD_fglrx

If you want to do it manually, you will need to install the kernel-devel packages, they have the header files. You will also need the rpm-build package to generate the package.

07/25/2013 05:18 PM

Author Icon
MinecraftMan
Peon

THANK YOU SO MUCH! I CAN NOW PLAY MINECRAFT WITHOUT INTENSE LAG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Linux, Minecraft, you name it.
gif

(Enderman doing charleston in grieferman. For minecraft fans, link to grieferman is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDRDEyLB-ks.

08/02/2013 05:46 PM

Author Icon
Gps
Peon

Originally posted by: pvh The procedure for installing the fglrx driver under openSUSE is described here:

http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:AMD_fglrx

If you want to do it manually, you will need to install the kernel-devel packages, they have the header files. You will also need the rpm-build package to generate the package.

You do not have a choice for beta drivers, then to do it through the command line.

Its not that hard though.

Make sure you have all the files needed.

Then download catalyst driver, extract the zip file, then right clcik on the run file, select properties, and go to the second tab.

Check the box: can be executed ( or something like that, I am translating, so it might be a bit different.

Close all programs and open the console.

su -
password
init 3

Now the desktop is gone.

Login again, and become root
name@linux-n2go:~>youre log in name
Password su - password naam@linux-n2go:~>
Commandline turns red to warn you, youre working as root.

Now go to the folder to were you downloaded the beta driver.

cd.. ls cd home ls cd [youre name] ls cd Downloads ls
cd = change directorie, ls gives an overvieuw of the files in a folder,
so you can see what to type after cd

The commandprompt now looks something like this:
linux-n2go:/home/name/Downloads #

Then type
sh ./amd-catalyst-13.15.100.1-x86.x86_64.run

When the installer is finished:

Type reboot
linux-n2go:/home/naam/Downloads # reboot

Now youre pc will reboot and you should have the amd drivers installed.

Do not use this method to install the non beta drivers, use the one click install for that.
Statistics
87438 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.