Topic Title: Plays on Linux World of Tanks not working HD7870
Topic Summary: Broken game report so MAD can revisit and fix drivers
Created On: 06/18/2013 02:40 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 06/18/2013 02:40 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
RecceDG
Peon

Tried Plays On Linux's install of World of Tanks. This is a custom WINE setup that encapsulates WoT.

Ubuntu 12.04 32bit, Athlon II x4 940 (Quad core 3.0 Ghz) AMD HD7870, latest beta closed source drivers (13.6).

Installer worked, in-game updater worked, lobby seems to work fine. Game plays but gets 4 FPS and a ton of graphics glitches that renders game unplayable.

Exiting game screwed up X too; took a reboot to recover.

This apparently works on an nVidia card

04/23/2014 10:36 AM

Author Icon
sgp7
Peon

I have the same issues with my Radeon HD7950.

I'm using Gentoo 64 bit, on an Intel i7-3770 Ivy Bridge. Installed the game using Play on Linux as well.

I just tried the recently released 14.4 release candidate driver and the issue remains although exiting the game does not break my X. I do have the major graphical glitches and really poor frame rates. There are no apparent glitches in the lobby but it's kind of sluggish.

I have tried the game with my older nVidia GTX 460 and the game runs fine with that card. Tweaking the graphics a little bit ("high" settings) I get around 25 fps +/- 5

In Windows I get 45-55 fps on "max" settings with the Radeon card. It would be nice to get similar performance in Linux.

04/24/2014 07:24 AM

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

Originally posted by: sgp7 In Windows I get 45-55 fps on "max" settings with the Radeon card. It would be nice to get similar performance in Linux.

Impossible without a native client. You'd better start asking the developer for it, and tell all your linux friends to do the same thing.

-------------------------

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 @ 3120MHz | RAM: Kingmax 2x2GB DDR2 800 @ 833MHz| MoBo: MSI K9A2 CF v1.0 (BIOS: 1.D)| GPU: Asus HD 6850 1024MB (DirectCu) @ 835/1135MHz | Display: L24FHD | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad | OS: MS Windows 3.11 Pro x64

04/24/2014 08:19 AM

Author Icon
sgp7
Peon

Originally posted by: Eydee
Originally posted by: sgp7 In Windows I get 45-55 fps on "max" settings with the Radeon card. It would be nice to get similar performance in Linux.

Impossible without a native client. You'd better start asking the developer for it, and tell all your linux friends to do the same thing.

Impossible huh? Funny then that it's not impossible with an nVidia card. Wine doesn't actually add that much overhead, if you have a graphics driver that is.

04/24/2014 12:27 PM

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

Have you tried it or did you just see some youtube videos? Those uploaders lie all the time... What about the open source drivers? If your're right, those should work fine.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 @ 3120MHz | RAM: Kingmax 2x2GB DDR2 800 @ 833MHz| MoBo: MSI K9A2 CF v1.0 (BIOS: 1.D)| GPU: Asus HD 6850 1024MB (DirectCu) @ 835/1135MHz | Display: L24FHD | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad | OS: MS Windows 3.11 Pro x64

04/24/2014 08:08 PM

Author Icon
sgp7
Peon

Originally posted by: Eydee Have you tried it or did you just see some youtube videos? Those uploaders lie all the time... What about the open source drivers? If your're right, those should work fine.

Obviously I've tried it! The open source drivers for both nVidia and AMD are far from finished. They only support a small fraction of the OpenGL api and use software fallback for the rest so they are not nearly as fast as the binary drivers.

04/25/2014 04:57 PM

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

That's not what I meant. If you get 100 fps using nvidia, 80 fps using the radeon driver and 5 fps using fglrx, the latter one is clearly broken. If you get 5 fps using fglrx and 10 fps using radeon, the nvidia thing is just a myth. I hope it's clear now.

04/26/2014 01:37 AM

Author Icon
sgp7
Peon

Originally posted by: Eydee That's not what I meant. If you get 100 fps using nvidia, 80 fps using the radeon driver and 5 fps using fglrx, the latter one is clearly broken. If you get 5 fps using fglrx and 10 fps using radeon, the nvidia thing is just a myth. I hope it's clear now.

A myth? How is it a myth, I have my nVidia card right next to me and I've been swapping them out several times now for comparisons.

The nVidia card is much slower hardware-wise but still outperforms the 7950 on Linux. Not only that, the AMD card render is completely broken with severe graphical glitches. In fact, while testing the "standard" graphics option yesterday the entire computer froze after a couple of seconds of gameplay. The very same card and computer works fine in Windows so it's not a hardware issue.

The open source drivers are not nearly good enough to do anything useful with (with regards to gaming that is) so they are not an option at all.

Who are you by the way? It doesn't look like you're working for AMD, it rather looks like you're some AMD fanboy with too much spare time. If you have nothing constructive to add to this topic (as opposed to go around telling everyone who experiences issues that they must be wrong) I would kindly ask you to **** off.

04/26/2014 04:23 AM

Author Icon
terryc
Peon

Have you guys/girls/? tried fiddling with some of the display settings for PoL WoTs?

I find Rift, PoE and some others can be vulnerable with wrong/less than optimal settings and each needs to be "tuned". Unfortunately depth of information can be light/contradictory re the best settings on  PoL. Partly due to the fact that there is some many distros/versions underneath.Also to the evolving nature of PoL.

04/26/2014 06:57 PM

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

Originally posted by: sgp7 Who are you by the way? It doesn't look like you're working for AMD, it rather looks like you're some AMD fanboy with too much spare time. If you have nothing constructive to add to this topic (as opposed to go around telling everyone who experiences issues that they must be wrong) I would kindly ask you to **** off.

It's not my fault that you can't read. If you could, you knew that this is a user-to-user forum, no one here works for AMD. So you can stop talking like that, you just make a fool out of yourself. You are clearly trolling as if you indeed had an nvidia card next to you, you could just use it for playing and shutting the f...ck up. Now go and learn some manners, you really need it.

One last thing: Wine is not supported and never will be, so you are just *****ing. Please ***** somewhere else.

04/28/2014 09:35 AM

Author Icon
sgp7
Peon

Originally posted by: terryc Have you guys/girls/? tried fiddling with some of the display settings for PoL WoTs?

I find Rift, PoE and some others can be vulnerable with wrong/less than optimal settings and each needs to be "tuned". Unfortunately depth of information can be light/contradictory re the best settings on  PoL. Partly due to the fact that there is some many distros/versions underneath.Also to the evolving nature of PoL.

I'm using Play on Linux mostly for installing apps with dependencies. It doesn't matter much, the interesting part is Wine. On that note, Wine does have a regression in 1.7.17 that makes WoT fail but I'm using 1.7.16 that works fine with nVidia.

It's not merely tuning either. Not only is the performance really bad but there are also severe graphical glitches, so much so that the game is unplayable. I'm talking about completely failed frames with polygons just rendering in a complete mush and you are unable to make out anything on the screen. Those problems are not just bad optimizations but geniune bugs.

04/28/2014 09:44 AM

Author Icon
sgp7
Peon

Originally posted by: Eydee
Originally posted by: sgp7 Who are you by the way? It doesn't look like you're working for AMD, it rather looks like you're some AMD fanboy with too much spare time. If you have nothing constructive to add to this topic (as opposed to go around telling everyone who experiences issues that they must be wrong) I would kindly ask you to **** off.

It's not my fault that you can't read. If you could, you knew that this is a user-to-user forum, no one here works for AMD. So you can stop talking like that, you just make a fool out of yourself. You are clearly trolling as if you indeed had an nvidia card next to you, you could just use it for playing and shutting the f...ck up. Now go and learn some manners, you really need it.

One last thing: Wine is not supported and never will be, so you are just *****ing. Please ***** somewhere else.

You have contributed NOTHING to this thread and you don't seem to have any knowledge about the issues at hand so I don't see why you are engaging yourself in it. The only thing you have done is to accuse other people of lying.

I have used the nVidia card for playing but it's a much older card. I bought the much newer and faster Radeon card because I wanted better performance but apparently I was shafted.

Wine is not supported? I'm not asking it to be, but you seem to not understand the title of this subforum: "Linux Support & Troubleshooting". Wine is certainly a central part in gaming on Linux. Still, it doesn't matter - Radeon fails where GeForce doesn't, that is the issue here.

Statistics
88933 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.