Topic Title: linux support for HD 7870 XT
Topic Summary: I get very poor GPGPU performance out of my new HD 7870 XT card
Created On: 07/17/2013 08:37 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/17/2013 08:37 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
pvh
Peon

Today I replaced my old HD 5830 card with a HD 7870 XT card from Sapphire. I run this card under openSUSE 12.3 which features a 3.7.10 kernel. When I started running my GPGPU project on the card, I noticed that the performance was very disappointing: it was no faster than my HD 5830 card! Looking at the screen I noticed a watermark at the lower right bottom that said "unsupported hardware". This was with Catalyst 13.1 (which claims to support this card by the way)... So I figured that was the cause of the slowness and decided to upgrade to Catalyst 13.4. That resulted in no change, the card was still not supported (again despite claims to the contrary in the release notes)! So I upgraded further to 13.6 beta. Now the unsupported watermark disappeared, but the card ran substantially slower than with the older drivers! With the aticonfig tool I found that the card was running at the lowest possible frequencies. I could not find a way to get it running at higher frequencies. I never needed to do anything special for that with my other AMD cards, so I am completely stomped. Can anybody give me pointers on how to get some decent performance out of this card?

Statistics
85471 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.