Topic Title: ASIC hang, HD 7850, Ubuntu 12.10
Topic Summary: Seemingly random desktop lockups, Xorg using 100% cpu time and immune to kill -9
Created On: 10/10/2013 05:26 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/10/2013 05:26 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
scotc
Peon

Please find below the (non-reproducible) issue reporting template with my info. I also collected the logs and such outlined in https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Troubleshooting/Freeze , but I figured to start with the below.

----------------------
Graphics card:
Default Adapter - AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series (HIS Radeon HD 7850)
                            Core (MHz)    Memory (MHz)
           Current Clocks :    300           150
             Current Peak :    860           1200
  Configurable Peak Range : [300-1050]     [150-1450]
                 GPU load :    85%
----------------------
AMD Catalyst Driver Version, and Driver History:
    previously tried open source driver from repositories. No GPU lockups but there was no hardware acceleration, either.
    Currently catalyst-12.11-beta11 gave me hw accel, but the lockups started after installation. Reinstalled this version several times (due to kernel updates), with no change in the lockup situation.
----------------------
Operating System:
    Ubuntu 12.10 (Quantal)
    kernel 3.5.0-41-generic
----------------------
Symptoms/conditions:
    It will start with the desktop becoming unresponsive (icons don't animate, can't Alt-tab, can't move windows, etc.), followed soon after by keyboard and mouse becoming unresponsive. In all cases if the hang is starting, then pressing Ctrl+Alt+F1 to switch to another terminal causes keyboard and mouse to stop responding immediately. Even REISUB does not work. Keyboard is USB, mouse is PS2. It is possible to log in with SSH. 'top' shows Xorg using 99-100% of a core, with Compiz showing 30% - 50% CPU time. lightdm can be restarted, but it has no effect. Xorg cannot be killed with any signal. Only remedy is to reboot.

Have not been able to pin-down exact steps to reproduce. At least 75% of the time the hang happens when starting Mozilla FF or TB, but not 100% of the time. At least 90% of the time the issue occurs when I take some action, such as starting an application or clicking on a GUI element, but, again not 100% of the time. Once, I left the PC for a while and returned to find it already locked up.
----------------------
Motherboard:
    Gigabyte GA-970A-D3, ASI F10
----------------------
Power Supply:
    CoolMax M-500B, 500W
----------------------
Display Device:
    Samsung SyncMaster 953BW on DVI
----------------------
Applications and Games:
    Issue seems independent of any specific app or game. It has happened while running Apache2, MySQL, LibreOffice, Minecraft server and/or client, Mozilla FF & TB, Terminal, Geany and gedit.
----------------------
Processor:
    FX-4100 Quad-Core, Current Speed: 3600 MHz (per dmidecode, though I installed per official instructions and didn't take any action to overclock)
----------------------
RAM:
    16GB (4GBx4) Ballistix 240-pin DIMM Crucial part #BLS4KIT4G3D1609DS1S00
----------------------
Other devices:
    HDD: 2 X Hitachi HDT725025VLA380 (250GB)
----------------------
Other:
 memtest86+ reported no errors with RAM

10/10/2013 05:47 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

Almost a year passed and there were several driver updates since 12.11 beta. Now there's even a 13.11 beta. The same applies for the kernel, which should be way past 3.5 by now.

Old software tends to be buggy, that's why new software is produced. We wouldn't need updates otherwise. So I suggest you try a newer driver release and maybe a newer kernel as well. Maybe the issue you describe was fixed months ago.

-------------------------

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 @ 3120MHz | RAM: Kingmax 2x2GB DDR2 800 @ 833MHz| MoBo: MSI K9A2 CF v1.0 (BIOS: 1.D)| GPU: Asus HD 6850 1024MB (DirectCu) @ 835/1135MHz | Display: L24FHD | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad | OS: MS Windows 3.11 Pro x64

Statistics
85747 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 6 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.