Topic Title: AMD graphic drivers and wine
Topic Summary:
Created On: 12/23/2013 07:52 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/23/2013 07:52 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
legluondunet
Peon

Hello,

after one year of AMD graphic HD7850 card experience, I have to say I'm very disappointed about bad quality support I had with games on Wine.

I reported on Wine Bugzilla a lot of bugs that are finally AMD catalyst drivers related:

AION: a lot of glitchs/artefacts

Aion "Kraka's Den" quest: game crash, can not complete the quest

Tomb Raider Underworld: Lara is all brown

Realmyst crash at start

Need For Speed Hot Pursuit 2010 steam version

Tomb Raider 5 - chronicles crash at start

Tomb raider 4 The last revelation - crash at start - steam version

Alone in the dark 4 crash at start

and more...

Several games crash at start if they are launched in a Wine virtual desktop or they have a lot of glitchs on wine with a AMD graphic card.

After testing them with a Nividia card, I can tell this bugs are AMD graphics cards specifics. 

AMD should work with Wine team to impove quickly the gaming experience on Linux with wine.

For the moment, Wine gamers will better choose a Nvidia card.

LGDN.

Edited: 12/30/2013 at 03:56 PM by legluondunet
 12/23/2013 08:32 AM

Author Icon
zipsi
Elite

Linux has never been supported 'as a gaming platform'

-------------------------
Intel I7 3770K @ 4.5ghz, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Gigabyte HD7970 ghz edition, 4x4gb Kingston HyperX Beast 2133mhz, Seasonic Platinum 860, Samsung 840 Pro 256gb, OCZ Vertex 4 128gb, WD Black 1TB, WD Green 3TB+1.5TB, ASUS Xonar Essence ST, ASUS VE278Q, Windows 3.11
 12/23/2013 05:27 PM

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

Just download the free trial of windows, put it in a separate partition and use it for gaming. In the meantime, support Valve, buy a steambox and all its games and linux gaming may evolve so you won't need windows. Wine is not a solution. You won't be less geek if you use windows for gaming.

-------------------------

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 @ 3120MHz | RAM: Kingmax 2x2GB DDR2 800 @ 833MHz| MoBo: MSI K9A2 CF v1.0 (BIOS: 1.D)| GPU: Asus HD 6850 1024MB (DirectCu) @ 835/1135MHz | Display: L24FHD | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad | OS: MS Windows 3.11 Pro x64

12/30/2013 06:50 AM

Author Icon
terryc
Peon

I have graphic problems running GGG's Path of Exile in PlayOnLinux(wine, dosbox, etc). Mainly top right quarter being overlaid by a backgound(?) colour and absolutely woeful FPS in a group BOSS fight. Reminded me of WOW on a 4MB card. Not what I expect from a 7790.

My support for Linux gaming is strictly limited to buying games that will run on Linux. Anything else is unacceptable.

If AMD isn't going to make an effort to support Linux gaming, then I might as well buy nVidia. They at least are listening.

01/05/2014 12:23 PM

Author Icon
Heliosurge
Peon

Originally posted by: terryc I have graphic problems running GGG's Path of Exile in PlayOnLinux(wine, dosbox, etc). Mainly top right quarter being overlaid by a backgound(?) colour and absolutely woeful FPS in a group BOSS fight. Reminded me of WOW on a 4MB card. Not what I expect from a 7790.

My support for Linux gaming is strictly limited to buying games that will run on Linux. Anything else is unacceptable.

If AMD isn't going to make an effort to support Linux gaming, then I might as well buy nVidia. They at least are listening.

I'm guessing you haven't seen Linus' response to Nvidia I think it was last year. :-)

You may get games to work in linux that are not native but it often requires work.  Playonlinux runs scripts to try and do all the work for you but keep in mind non of the scripts ask questions like are you running ATI or Nvidia.  If you can find truly helpful ppl that may have similar hardware you might find solutions to get things running better.

Community support can often be better than Official support.

Just food for thought.  (And yes I use a Windows Game Console for those hard to get running games)

Statistics
87583 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 4 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.