Topic Title: Linux and OpenCL
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01/17/2014 04:55 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/17/2014 04:55 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Lazarus Long
Peon

I have a HD7950 which I use in both Windows Vista64 and Linux (Mint and Funtoo, both 64bit).  I bought it because I wanted great compute performace for my artwork, scientific distributed computing, and a little gaming. In windows I can get what I paid for, but not in Linux.  Gaming?  Sure, Wine works great (usually) but I don't want to game all day. Doing 3d renders, creating new and interesting images, video and audio encoding, folding proteins, modeling weather systems, and curing cancer?  I'm better off in Windows. 

In Linux, every OpenCL project I find has at least one of three caveats: 

No support for AMD products at all,

Support for a very limited range of AMD products,

and/or AMD products perform better in the given app in Windows than in Linux. 

The reason for this given by the developers of these projects are very consistant:  AMD needs to fix their drivers.  A quote from http://folding.stanford.edu/home/guide/linux-install-guide/ :

"Folding on AMD GPUs is problematic in linux due to poor OpenCL driver suppport from AMD, so GPU folding on AMD hardware is not supported at this time.  This could change at any time with a newer driver.  Linux GPU folding is still in beta testing."

That is just one example.  There are more than I would ever want to look up and post.

So, um, AMD, why don't you fix your drivers?  There are millions of paying customers who can't use their products to their full potential do to artificial constraints on double presicion math.  That alone will add years to some research projects.  "Sorry little Timmy, the cancer took grandma before the the scientists could find a cure.  If they could have done the math faster, you might have known her better."  Isn't that enough?

01/17/2014 12:11 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

Originally posted by: Lazarus Long So, um, AMD, why don't you fix your drivers?

Why don't you ask them? This is a peer-to-peer forum. I wonder how you missed that.

There are millions of paying customers who can't use their products to their full potential do to artificial constraints on double presicion math.

There aren't millions of linux users in the whole world altogether...

-------------------------

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 @ 3120MHz | RAM: Kingmax 2x2GB DDR2 800 @ 833MHz| MoBo: MSI K9A2 CF v1.0 (BIOS: 1.D)| GPU: Asus HD 6850 1024MB (DirectCu) @ 835/1135MHz | Display: L24FHD | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad | OS: MS Windows 3.11 Pro x64

Statistics
84248 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 7 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.