Topic Title: Made the right choice
Topic Summary: Happy AMD/ATI supports Linux better than the major competitor.
Created On: 01/23/2014 03:44 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/23/2014 03:44 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
DynV
Peon

I was kind of in a hurry when I bought my computer parts. While the parts were charged (on my credit card) but not sent, thus I still had time to cancel, I enquired about GNU/Linux. As I'm gaming and many, too many IMHO, publishers & developpers push Windows the most, so I too have the non-free OS in mind 1st, although by necessity. So as I still could have cancelled my video card, I searched which was better supported by Linux then found out AMD/ATI was better than the major competitor. I felt confident about my quickly-made choice. Not only that but when you see the creator of the core (the kernel) of the OS you're rooting for insult the major competitor, you're glad you didn't go that way.

So not only are you doing marketing by attracting clients interested in an important but less popular OS, but you're avoiding bad publicity from the important figures of that same OS.

Congratulations and you kept a customer

Edited: 01/23/2014 at 04:09 AM by DynV
 01/24/2014 07:04 PM

Author Icon
MGelbana
Peon

I can't agree or disagree because I haven't tried other GPUs with Linux. But "better that the major competitor" simply isn't enough.

It frustrates me to the limits that I can't use my graphics card on linux exactly like a windows user would

-------------------------

Ubuntu 13.10 | Dell Inspiron SE 7520 (Radeon HD 7730M)

01/24/2014 07:15 PM

Author Icon
DynV
Peon

Can you play one of the 3D native games? Perhaps OpenArena or Yo Frankie! or Bos Wars. I'm looking to play linux 3D games, not run an emulator to play other OS game. If they can be used, do they have at least 30 fps?

01/25/2014 05:58 AM

Author Icon
MGelbana
Peon

Originally posted by: DynV Can you play one of the 3D native games?

I'd LOVE to play games on Linux but this isn't what I meant, I mean I can't install the driver easily, stabily, and not have irritating issues such as full fan speed all the time, black screens, hangs. And more frequent driver updates like the windows version would be great.

Even if I wanted to answer your question and see if I can play these games smoothly, I'll have to switch to the discrete GPU (AMD's) and reboot my machine ! It's like we are going back in time

01/25/2014 01:26 PM

Author Icon
DynV
Peon

Originally posted by: MGelbana

I'll have to switch to the discrete GPU (AMD's) and reboot

I don't understand what that mean.

Well I'll eventually give my GPU a try on GNU/linux and let it know if it funtioned correctly.

01/25/2014 06:34 PM

Author Icon
MGelbana
Peon

Originally posted by: DynVI don't understand what that mean.
Well, this post is on the "Linux Support & Troubleshooting" section so I thought you are using Linux too.

For me - and I'm using Ubuntu - I have hybrid graphic cards, but I can't switch dynamically between them, first I have to go through a time consuming, tricky installation that may lead me to an unusable system (I may not be able to view any GUI), then whenever I'd like to switch between the integrated or discrete GPU, I have to restart my machine. Let alone the random often freezes and bugs such as the almost-on-full-speed fan !

01/25/2014 06:42 PM

Author Icon
DynV
Peon

Originally posted by: MGelbana Well, this post is on the "Linux Support & Troubleshooting" section so I thought you are using Linux too.
Either the thread was moved, in that case a mod post about it is welcomed, or I was confused about where I added the thread.
Originally posted by: MGelbana switch between the integrated or discrete GPU, I have to restart my machine.
So integrated GPU is part of APU and discrete GPU is a regular one, card connected to the MB likely in PCIe slot?
 01/26/2014 06:40 AM

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

Linux support is rumored to be terrible on recent (GCN) cards and is only "okay" on older cards like mine. Even older cards quickly became so-called legacy cards and have no driver support at all, you have to use open source if you use them.

Laptop/integrated cards are a disaster for both companies under linux. Best solution is not using laptops, second best is not using them for gaming.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 @ 3120MHz | RAM: Kingmax 2x2GB DDR2 800 @ 833MHz| MoBo: MSI K9A2 CF v1.0 (BIOS: 1.D)| GPU: Asus HD 6850 1024MB (DirectCu) @ 835/1135MHz | Display: L24FHD | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad | OS: MS Windows 3.11 Pro x64

02/02/2014 05:32 PM

Author Icon
plandream
Peon

No problem here with HD7970.It is also GCN.

Also, the latest kernel fixes a lot of stuff and the next 2-3 kernels will be exciting for much older cards as well...

Too old, too cold....
 02/03/2014 04:27 PM

Author Icon
MGelbana
Peon

Is AMd committed to provide drivers for it's devices for different platforms ? With full features supported ?

APU is a graphics chip integrated into the processor, usually Intel

GPU is a discrete (separate\independant) graphics card. Ex: Nvidia, ATI

02/10/2014 07:26 PM

Author Icon
most1yharm1ess
Peon

@plandream

glad to hear that your 7970 is working.  I haven't got the binary driver working on any recent kernel, 3.10.7, 3.12.1, 3.13.2 with any of the recent drivers. They compile ok, but running X black screens and hangs the terminal.  I can ssh in.  Any clues? Hardware worked ok under Win 7.

02/11/2014 02:13 AM

Author Icon
MGelbana
Peon

Originally posted by: most1yharm1ess @plandream

glad to hear that your 7970 is working.  I haven't got the binary driver working on any recent kernel, 3.10.7, 3.12.1, 3.13.2 with any of the recent drivers. They compile ok, but running X black screens and hangs the terminal.  I can ssh in.  Any clues? Hardware worked ok under Win 7.

I had to remove the driver and I think it reverted back automatically to the previously installed one (i.e. open source).

02/13/2014 11:31 AM

Author Icon
most1yharm1ess
Peon

Apparently the fglrx driver is incompatible with vt-d/IOMMU.  Disabling it on my system lets the driver work, enabling it causes the black screen of death.  It'd be nice if AMD fixed this problem, which is in all recent drivers 13-14.1 and kernels 3.10+, as the open source drivers don't have good support currently for the newer cards ie 3D acceleration, crossfire etc.  So put vt-d/IOMMU compatibility on my wish list.

02/16/2014 09:22 AM

Author Icon
bellvk219
Peon

AMD has dropped support for several older Graphics chip standards.  I encountered this with a graphics chip on my motherboard.  RADEON HD3000.

No driver will work because the x-windows graphic sw interface has changed and AMD has no interest in re-writing the driver for this chip (no profit in it).

This is not specific to AMD, hardware manufacturers do this regularly to bolster new hardware sales.

At this point, it is better to buy a large power supply (500w+) and prepare to buy video cards.

jim

03/08/2014 09:16 AM

Author Icon
Blauert
Peon

Originally posted by: DynV I was kind of in a hurry when I bought my computer parts. While the parts were charged (on my credit card) but not sent, thus I still had time to cancel, I enquired about GNU/Linux. As I'm gaming and many, too many IMHO, publishers & developpers push Windows the most, so I too have the non-free OS in mind 1st, although by necessity. So as I still could have cancelled my video card, I searched which was better supported by Linux then found out AMD/ATI was better than the major competitor. I felt confident about my quickly-made choice. Not only that but when you see the creator of the core (the kernel) of the OS you're rooting for insult the major competitor, you're glad you didn't go that way.

So not only are you doing marketing by attracting clients interested in an important but less popular OS, but you're avoiding bad publicity from the important figures of that same OS.

Congratulations and you kept a customer

yeah, but no.

amd has to do a lot to be close to the major competitor ...

i dont care about open source drivers, i care about drivers that work 100%.

opensource would be nice though.

03/08/2014 01:14 PM

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

Originally posted by: Blauert yeah, but no.

amd has to do a lot to be close to the major competitor ...

i dont care about open source drivers, i care about drivers that work 100%.

opensource would be nice though.

The "amd vs nvidia on linux" thing is more like a meme, originating from the steam forums. Yes, nvidia is better at this point but not that much.

The reason linux users started this mith is a psyhological need to disguise the fact that even linux itself contains serious bugs that are in the way of gaming. The #1 bug that can be mentioned here is X. The second one is HDD handling, memory handling and the shittiest CPU management ever. Don't misunderstand me, I like linux, but the problem lies much deeper than the internet people say... As a reference, visit the steam forum again, and enter the nvidia section. Problems, problems, problems. On both sides.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 @ 3120MHz | RAM: Kingmax 2x2GB DDR2 800 @ 833MHz| MoBo: MSI K9A2 CF v1.0 (BIOS: 1.D)| GPU: Asus HD 6850 1024MB (DirectCu) @ 835/1135MHz | Display: L24FHD | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad | OS: MS Windows 3.11 Pro x64

03/08/2014 02:52 PM

Author Icon
Blauert
Peon

"amd vs nvidia on linux" thing is more like a meme, originating from the steam forums.

you are aware that amd vs. nvidia with linux existed before steamOS?

i dont understand "bug" #1 nor #2 nor #3 nor #4

regarding the nvidia section on steamforums: well i am not going over there but i am pretty sure it has something to do with users being too stupid to install drivers properly. or at least understanding the difference between nouveau and the nvidia.com binary driver.

Statistics
85329 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.