Topic Title: AMD GPUs and Linux OSs issues
Topic Summary: Why is there so many issues with AMD GPUs and Linux OSs ? Is a solution being developed ? How long should it take ?
Created On: 01/24/2014 06:49 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/24/2014 06:49 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
MGelbana
Peon

Why wouldn't installing the Catalyist driver be easy without issues and act as a final issues to all common and uncommon issues ?

I subscribed to the AMD Catalyst driver newsletter but I don't think this is enough to satisfy my search for information about the development progress of the driver.

I need to know how is it progressing, what difficulties is it facing (linux distro specific\kernel limitations..etc).

Now I'm just waiting without any ability to anticipate the next release date for an improvement, fixes, improvements..etc

I hope I was clear enough.

-------------------------

Ubuntu 13.10 | Dell Inspiron SE 7520 (Radeon HD 7730M)

01/26/2014 06:46 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

The installation is easy and hassle free both for the binary package and repo install. Your problem lies elsewhere, you're using a laptop. Laptop support is done by the manufacturer, and usually is zero support for linux. That means you're trying to DIY a config out of unsupported, untested components. I wonder why it doesn't work...

For supported cards the install process is the same as under windows, run the installer, click next a few times, reboot, done. Or install drivers from a repo and you don't even have to worry about kernel/xorg updates.

On the other hand, installing nvidia drivers is what I call a hassle. You need to blacklist open source drivers manually, reboot to a low runlevel, run the installer from a terminal and if you're very lucky, it won't find anything to complain about... Installing from a repo is the same easy thing though.

-------------------------

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 @ 3120MHz | RAM: Kingmax 2x2GB DDR2 800 @ 833MHz| MoBo: MSI K9A2 CF v1.0 (BIOS: 1.D)| GPU: Asus HD 6850 1024MB (DirectCu) @ 835/1135MHz | Display: L24FHD | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad | OS: MS Windows 3.11 Pro x64

Statistics
88900 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.