Topic Title: Linux suppot: CRAP.
Topic Summary: No AMD support. No driver works.
Created On: 02/06/2014 01:40 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/06/2014 01:40 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
3gengames
Peon

So, I hate to use proprietary drivers. Every one I ever tried was CRAP from AMD, starting with a mobile HD 4250 from a few years ago. It was crap. Well, now I own a new gaming desktop with an R9 270X. Well, it's even worse. No driver works. No beta works. No FOSS worked at first either. That sucks. But I installed the edgers PPA and the FOSS drivers work 1000x better, albeit random crashes and such. But even trying the new AMD 14.1 beta, THEY STILL SUCK AND ARE BROKEN. I'm on a Linux Mint 16 MATE PC, FX-8350, R9270X, 16GB RAM, etc etc. But this thing is about as useful as a pentium 4 right now. I fail to open ANYTHING OpenGL with any driver set from AMD, it completely breaks everything thats not 2D. FOSS drivers can play TF2 perfect at 250fps, but Rust crashes bad every 30 minutes or so. No AMD drivers even make it that far. What a load of crap, why not at least help the FOSS MESA drivers and fix the _VERY_ few issues they have, and add more OpenGL support than make these PISS POOR drivers that DO NOT WORK.

I hate spending $250 on a GPU that SUCKS. I may even sell this one and get an NVIDIA card. For NVIDIA's steam boxes, they got perfect FOSS drivers for it. You should be ashamed the GPU I'm using is used in a steam box. It will be broken, for sure.

Thanks for listening. Now get someone from AMD who knows what they're doing working on MESA to fix this garbage GPU support. Fix it, or you lost a customer who has built an ALL-AMD PC, and recommends parts to many friends, and also will be building a new PC in a couple years!

02/06/2014 10:07 PM

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

You're on the community forums, if you haven't noticed. Your talking to your fellow users, so here's my personal "opinion

-------------------------

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 @ 3120MHz | RAM: Kingmax 2x2GB DDR2 800 @ 833MHz| MoBo: MSI K9A2 CF v1.0 (BIOS: 1.D)| GPU: Asus HD 6850 1024MB (DirectCu) @ 835/1135MHz | Display: L24FHD | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad | OS: MS Windows 3.11 Pro x64

Edited: 09/10/2014 at 04:13 PM by AMD Support and Game Moderator
 02/16/2014 09:34 AM

Author Icon
bellvk219
Peon

Not crap, economics.

Read driver support carefully.  I have totally lost LINUX support for 3000 series graphics.  AMD no longer supports it as it appears LINUX x-windows graphics software interface to GRAPHICs drivers has changed and AMD finds no profit in re-writing the driver for older GRAPHICS standards.

I am facing the smae thing and only options are to buy a new case with a larger power supply (400+) and install agraphics card.  My implementation is in support of a Home Theatre PC so low power consumption was tantamount to my configuration (low power CPU {under 100w}, graphics on MB, Green HD) case only has 300w PS. 

We are screwed.

And, as for our friend scoding us for failing to do research, I assure you, you will find yourself in this predicament in time, as well. 

Peace!!

-------------------------

jim

Statistics
89061 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.