Topic Title: AMD R9-280X Xen VGA Passthrough support?
Topic Summary: Is VGA Passthrough supported by the AMD R9-280X?
Created On: 05/14/2014 12:49 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05/14/2014 12:49 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
ajenkins
Peon

Hey guys,

I am currently in the process of ordering components for a Xen Virtualisation server that I would like to use VGA passthrough with. However I have been unable to find any information on whether the R9-280X works with VGA passthrough. There are plenty of mentions of the 270X being supported across the web but I have not found a single mention of the 280X.

Has anyone used the 280X with VGA pass through or know if it works?

Thanks,

Alan

05/15/2014 06:22 AM

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

Even if it doesn't work at the moment, it surely will at some point I guess, so I wouldn't worry.

-------------------------

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 @ 3120MHz | RAM: Kingmax 2x2GB DDR2 800 @ 833MHz| MoBo: MSI K9A2 CF v1.0 (BIOS: 1.D)| GPU: Asus HD 6850 1024MB (DirectCu) @ 835/1135MHz | Display: L24FHD | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad | OS: MS Windows 3.11 Pro x64

05/15/2014 08:11 AM

Author Icon
ajenkins
Peon

I emailed Overclockers.co.uk and they said that if I go ahead and order one and try it and it happens to not work that I can return it with no questions asked so once my CPU and Mobo I have on order turn up (they are going to take a week) I will order the R9-280X and then test to see if it works. If not I will return and get a 270X which apparently does work.

I will try to remember to post here if it works once I have tested it.

Thanks,

Alan

05/20/2014 05:33 PM

Author Icon
vuldin
Peon

I'm going a similar route to you ajenkins. I'm waiting for a 290x to arrive, and my goal is to eventually get this card to be controlled by a Windows VM running on xen (archlinux as dom0) via vga passthrough. If this doesn't work it won't be enough to make me return the card though... I expect there is a very high chance that any issues would be resolved through future driver updates.

That being said, I was so close to buying an Nvidia card for this build, but I couldn't do it in spite of the nagging Linux driver issues. Easier vga passthrough was one of the main reasons for this (along with the fact that I've always bought ATI/AMD cards).

I'm holding out hope that AMD will deliver updated drivers that make these relatively new cards run as well as under Windows within the next weeks/months.

05/21/2014 01:32 AM

Author Icon
ajenkins
Peon

Hey Vuldin,

Good job you have avoided buying an nVidia card, unless you use KVM-VFIO or modify your card's hardware you cannot use nVidia cards for passthrough unless they are Quadro cards (https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=162768).

I like you used to always have ATI cards but since my Radeon 9800XT died I went to the nVidia camp. It is only recently after buying my gtx690 (yes the £1000 dual GPU card) and have nVidia make it so I cannot use tripple monitors with acceleration in Linux AND without modifying it be able to use VGA passthrough that I started to get very annoyed with nVidia.

Also their reluctance to help the nouveau project (the open source driver) has annoyed me too. AMD on the other hand have been providing information to the radeon project so I am thinking I will be moving back to the AMD camp for my future cards unless nVidia get their act together.

My current plan is to use KVM with VGA passthrough to run a Windows VM and use Steam Streaming to send Windows games across the network to my Linux and Mac computers. This way I can totally ditch windows on all of my machines while still being able to play my old windows games that don't have a Linux / Mac port.

05/21/2014 01:34 AM

Author Icon
ajenkins
Peon

Also may I add the 280X card has now arrived along with the case but I am waiting on other parts of the new to turn up (Xeon Processor, RAM, Mobo and PSU).

Statistics
85545 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 6 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.