Topic Title: Linux Mint17-Mate Newest AMD Drivers 7950 and PtTime 2monitors
Topic Summary: myriad of issues w/control of part time dual monitor set up with Prop and linux drivers
Created On: 06/22/2014 11:57 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 06/22/2014 11:57 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
johnniedoo
Peon

I am wondering if it is practical to use LInux for my part time dual monitor single gpu set up.  I havent gotten Overdrive to get things right as yet.  Having a tough enough time keeping CCC from creating annoying glitches after switching back to single monitor from 2. the extended desktop method seems to be a bit smother but still stupid things happen after a reboot back to one monitor.  Mate Menu, desktop window toggle icon, date/time and monitor doubled up after reboot, couldnt just remove one. both came off panel, only those 3 of 8 or 9 things doubled up.  a nuisance replacing, the menu especially setting back up.plus, so far not even close to being able to overclock the sapphire hd7950 OC yet.  only a week with Linux Mint17 Mate. I like it in most other ways, so far, been ok other than the graphics issue. and it is a huge one.  been using Afterburner3.0 in win7 x64 Pro.sp1 for a number of years and both cpu/gpu ram are overclocked, and easliy and stable. I am not sure if this is the proper place to get much feedback or information but cant see how the benefits vs hassles work out. Only a very short time with linux and will be working with it, but not ready for 100% yet.  I dual boot for now.  MInt17 is only a couple of weeks old , too. so, lots of growing room and will be working with it till either linux or amd maybe both, get things working together.

I am amazed at the regression of the interface alone. I remember this same interface back in 2006 and Vista and x1200. it is like a time machine effect when i go back to windows7, and i am a fairly new microsoft user..2005, Mac for 9 or 10yrs pior.

I at least have bypassed my first 2 attempts with the amd drivers and cinnamon 9days ago.  i got black screen and after a reformat and reinstall got an invisible system that showed only the desktop background pic and flashes of windows thas stayed invisible and could click or keystroke out. i have gone the next 4 or5days on the linux graphics drivers but they are slow and fine for just basic things but no games no streaming videos without all kinds of issues that shouldnt be associated with a 7950 gpu. I was looking here for things which arent even in linux mint forums yet, so, just putting this latest interaction out. At least it is stable , so far, just annoyances.  Happens, I will post if i find any serendipitous fixes to my own dual monitor(hdmi/dvi) issues

samsungB2430hd/LG42ld550-->Onkyo tx sr608 7.1HDMI ,still linux audio drivers for sp/dif and still hassles with the amd/hdmi audio but all that is a whole new story.

06/22/2014 04:14 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

My own experience is that fglrx is far from perfect. It work fine if you have an older (pre-GCN) GPU and a fairly standard config (1 card, 1 monitor, DVI, etc.), but it can easily produce strange things if you start making things difficult for it.

Yes, dual boot is probably the best idea. And whenever you face bugs, don't forget to report them.

PS: I see you do have a "strange" config. Whoever invented these receivers will surely burn in hell forever...

-------------------------

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 @ 3120MHz | RAM: Kingmax 2x2GB DDR2 800 @ 833MHz| MoBo: MSI K9A2 CF v1.0 (BIOS: 1.D)| GPU: Asus HD 6850 1024MB (DirectCu) @ 835/1135MHz | Display: L24FHD | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad | OS: MS Windows 3.11 Pro x64

Statistics
85779 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 4 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.