Topic Title: Complete GPU freeze in Planet Explorers
Topic Summary:
Created On: 08/13/2014 04:46 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/13/2014 04:46 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
retr0virus
Peon

Hello,

with all catalyst drivers since at least archlinux-package catalyst-test-14.3-1 the game Planet Explorers will lead to a GPU freeze of my Radeon HD7870 after some minutes. The current catalyst-test-14.6-11 has the problem too.

The sound still plays, I can ssh to my machine and kill the game, Xserver etc. but I can not get the display back. The last visible image before the freeze will stay visible until I reboot my system.

The dmesg-log says something about: [fglrx] ASIC hang happened.

A more detailed description can be found here: http://board.pathea.net/mantisbt/view.php?id=392

I uploaded a dmesg log there too: http://board.pathea.net/mantisbt/file_download.php?file_id=270&type=bug

There also seems to be another one with the problem. The other reporter tested the problem with the stable 14-4 too but the error still occurs after a short time in-game.

The Planet Explorer developer think that it has to be a GPU driver problem...

So I hope that someone here can say what to do now.

Edit:

It seems that this: http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=488&threadid=172851 is the other user of the pathea-bug-tracker.

In addition to his post I can say that it appears for steam and non-steam and with or without steam-overlay. Fullscreen/Window mode is not important. OpenCL with CPU or GPU also does not matter. Setting maximum or minimum graphics settings does not change anything.

Yes, I know - this seems to be a dead forum. But where can I post my problem? Whom can I tell? Is there somewhere an AMD bugtracker or anything? I did not find it, but maybe I overlooked it?

Edited: 08/13/2014 at 05:03 PM by retr0virus
 08/15/2014 11:29 AM

Author Icon
natasha
Peon

Have you tried ordinary proprietary drivers from AMD Graphics Drivers and Software page?

-------------------------

Lenovo IdeaPad G500A (59-381065): Intel Core i5-3230M, Intel HD Graphics 4000, AMD Radeon HD 8750M; openSUSE 13.1 (x86_64), Windows 7 Ultimate (64 bit)

08/19/2014 05:01 PM

Author Icon
terryc
Peon

Do you have any gigabyte hardware involved?

With a gigabyte brand motherboard and gigagabyte AMD card, I ha similar problems. Only fixed by buying another brand of motherboard and video card.

Statistics
88944 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.