Topic Title: Build suggestions, need to pair a motherboard with an FX 8350
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/10/2013 09:11 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/10/2013 09:11 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
p4l1ndr0m3
Peon

I'm looking to upgrade my system and I'm going mATX for this build. However, I was surprised to find that the only motherboards available that were mATX and FX 8350 compatible have chipsets that are nearly 4 years old, no USB 3.0, and no UEFI BIOS.

Am I missing something here or is this space being ignored by AMD and motherboard manufacturers?

If I can't find a full featured motherboard, I'll be forced to use an Intel CPU in my personal desktop for the first time in about 15 years.

I REALLY want to stay with AMD. Suggestions are greatly appreciated.

11/10/2013 10:39 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

The mATX form factor is not very popular for highend CPUs like the FX-8350. The mATX platform is used more for HTPC. I don't think there is much demand for features that you're expecting in a mATX mobo. 

For most folks USB 3.0 isn't a real need at the moment unless you are doing a lot of data transfer. UEFI is essentially just a graphical overlay for a normal BIOS screen. The settings are still the same without the glitz.

-------------------------

Building a reliable PC involves more than just assembling the parts. You need to be able to configure all of the BIOS settings appropriately. This can be quite involved and frustrating as it can require a lot of trial and error with stress testing. It is however often the only means to get a 100% reliable PC.

11/10/2013 11:08 PM

Author Icon
p4l1ndr0m3
Peon

I know what UEFI is.

I need USB 3.0 since I do a lot of transfering to and from external USB 3.0 docks and HDDs.

On newegg alone, there are 42 mATX LGA 1150 motherboards with USB 3.0 and other current features: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007627%20600438202%20600009017&IsNodeId=1

Conversely, AMD doesn't seem to have any USB 3.0 mATX motherboards and only 2 with SATA3: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007625%20600138080%20600009017&IsNodeId=1&name=Micro%20ATX

I'm actually starting to get quite irritated the more I look into this because it looks like AMD and partners have deserted this space entirely. My plan B was a GIGABYTE GA-Z87M-D3H and a Xeon E3-1230V3. But, that looks like that might have to be my new plan A.

Unbelievable...

11/10/2013 11:37 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

It's not AMD's decision as to which chipsets the board partners use on which boards. The MicroATX form factor is usually used by people who don't need a top performing computer, such as for an office setup or entertainment center, so most focus on Socket FM2 for AMD MicroATX motherboards. Might I ask why you don't want to use a full size ATX board?

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 11/11/2013 12:10 AM

Author Icon
p4l1ndr0m3
Peon

I'm downsizing my computer case to the BitFenix Prodigy M. I only use 1 graphics card and 1 PCI port, no need for full ATX.

I know there are a couple of Lian Li cases that will fit a full size ATX mobo in a small case, but the airflow is compromised. I also not willing to use an HTPC case for the same reason. I've done my research and I'm 100% decided on the Prodigy M.

I'm just in literal disbelief that this situation is what it is in the mATX sector. If I didn't care about performance, I would go the FM2/APU route. But, that would be a lateral move vs my current setup performance wise.

11/11/2013 12:26 AM

Author Icon
Vantharas
Polygon Pusher

If you are going to go with a MATX form factor you might as well take AMD off your list. 

Get something like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131977

and a I5 of your chooseing. and pick up a nice video card to go with it. 

I5 3570K@4~5.0ghz: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H:Corsair Hydro H110 :16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR-3 1600: XFX Radeon 7950 @ 1100/1575 : Corsair AX 860 PSU: x1 WD Black 1TB HDD's: 90GB Agility 3: 960GB SSD : Creative Labs X-FI:Corsair 500R Arctic White Edition:3 22inch Monitors Eyefinity @ 5294x 1050 : Alienware Tact-X Keyboard: Razer Naga :Corsair Vengence 1500 Headset: Corsair SP2500 Speakers

11/11/2013 01:09 AM

Author Icon
p4l1ndr0m3
Peon

Like I said in an earlier post, I think I'm going to end up with a GIGABYTE GA-Z87M-D3H and a Xeon E3-1230V3 (basically a cheaper i7-4770). I'm really looking forward to downsizing my case to the Prodigy M that will actually fit in my desk, unlike my current case.

I still have 3 other AMD desktops within 6 feet of me and my AMD graphics card will carry over to the new system. All is not lost I suppose.

11/11/2013 07:16 AM

Author Icon
Vantharas
Polygon Pusher

Good choice I suppose. I like K series myself for overclocking.

I5 3570K@4~5.0ghz: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H:Corsair Hydro H110 :16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR-3 1600: XFX Radeon 7950 @ 1100/1575 : Corsair AX 860 PSU: x1 WD Black 1TB HDD's: 90GB Agility 3: 960GB SSD : Creative Labs X-FI:Corsair 500R Arctic White Edition:3 22inch Monitors Eyefinity @ 5294x 1050 : Alienware Tact-X Keyboard: Razer Naga :Corsair Vengence 1500 Headset: Corsair SP2500 Speakers

11/11/2013 10:00 AM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

The reason there are no AMD mATX mobos with the features you desire is because their is little demand for such.

You should buy what makes you happy. Being irritated that the mobo makers don't offer what you want isn't going to change anything. If enough people wanted it, they would make it.

Building a reliable PC involves more than just assembling the parts. You need to be able to configure all of the BIOS settings appropriately. This can be quite involved and frustrating as it can require a lot of trial and error with stress testing. It is however often the only means to get a 100% reliable PC.

11/11/2013 04:29 PM

Author Icon
p4l1ndr0m3
Peon

You are just speculating unless you work for AMD and speak for them. Can you provide some statistics that back this up?

I find it extremely hard to belive that there is no market for enthusiast mATX. If that was the case, there wouldn't be 4 dozen gaming motherboards in mATX form factor that are LGA1150 on Newegg.

11/11/2013 04:52 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

You don't seem to understand even though several of us have tried to explain. AMD has absolutely NO SAY in what mobos are produced or what chipsets are used by the mobo makers. The lastest chipset for AM3+ mobos is the 900 series which was developed ~5 years ago. There is no newer chipset for the socket AM3+ mobos and there is not going to be.

USB 3.0 didn't even exist back when AMD developed the 900 series chipset. UEFI BIOS is up to the mobo maker not AMD. Obviously mobo makers aren't in any rush to create a new BIOS for their mATX mobos as a std. BIOS works just fine.

As far as Intel stuff being available that again is totally up to the mobo makers not Intel, except for any mobos Intel produced themselves. AMD is not in the mobo business so consumers are at the mercy of whatever the mobo makers chose to make. Certainly if the mobo makers felt they could make money on an AM3+ mATX mobo that you desire, they would offer them. As far as AMD mobos are concerned you're only chance is with a socket FM2+ mobo, which is newer and ongoing. AM3+ is about to reach EOL in another year.

BTW, I don't work for AMD but I do try to help people with accurate, useful information. You may not always like what I post but it is accurate.

11/11/2013 06:37 PM

Author Icon
p4l1ndr0m3
Peon

Originally posted by: p4l1ndr0m3

Am I missing something here or is this space being ignored by AMD and motherboard manufacturers?

Originally posted by: AMDforMe

You don't seem to understand even though several of us have tried to explain. AMD has absolutely NO SAY in what mobos are produced or what chipsets are used by the mobo makers. The lastest chipset for AM3+ mobos is the 900 series which was developed ~5 years ago. There is no newer chipset for the socket AM3+ mobos and there is not going to be.

USB 3.0 didn't even exist back when AMD developed the 900 series chipset. UEFI BIOS is up to the mobo maker not AMD. Obviously mobo makers aren't in any rush to create a new BIOS for their mATX mobos as a std. BIOS works just fine.

As far as Intel stuff being available that again is totally up to the mobo makers not Intel, except for any mobos Intel produced themselves. AMD is not in the mobo business so consumers are at the mercy of whatever the mobo makers chose to make. Certainly if the mobo makers felt they could make money on an AM3+ mATX mobo that you desire, they would offer them. As far as AMD mobos are concerned you're only chance is with a socket FM2+ mobo, which is newer and ongoing. AM3+ is about to reach EOL in another year.

BTW, I don't work for AMD but I do try to help people with accurate, useful information. You may not always like what I post but it is accurate.

It would be extremely naive to think that AMD has zero say. What is more likely is that AMD has no interest in that market at this moment and isn't offering incentives for manufacturers to put out new product in this space.

Also, if I remember correctly, USB 3.0 was supposed to be offered on the 900 series chipset but was instead dropped in favor of additional headroom for PCI-E lanes.

There aren't UEFI BIOS for the 760g mATX motherboards because NOBODY had UEFI in 2009 when these were released. It has nothing to do with the BIOS "working just fine". If the BIOS "works just fine", why would any motherboard bother to have UEFI BIOS today. That seems like an unnecessary expense in R&D.

Lastly, your information was neither useful nor accurate. It was just a bunch of cobbled together assumptions and opinions that you hold personally. When you make sweeping claims like "AMD has absolutely NO SAY in what mobos are produced or what chipsets are used by the mobo makers" you need to be able to back it up some sort of credible evidence. Believe me, if AMD wanted to go after the high-end mATX market, there would be motherboards in that segment.

11/11/2013 10:00 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

You are certainly entitled to your beliefs, even if untrue. Numerous people here have explained the realities of the mobo marketplace to you, what chipsets exist for the socket AM3+ mobos, etc. and why there are no AMD socket AM3+ mATX mobos that meet your desires. It is what it is. That's life. Hating the messengers isn't going to change reality.

If you don't believe us, e-mail the AMD mobo makers and ask them why there are no AMD mATX mobos that meet your requirements. You'll get exactly the same answers. If there was enough demand they would build them. That's the reason they sell mobos. AMD is moving to 100% FM2+ and so are the AMD mobo makers.

There's no need to be mean or nasty just because the mobo you desire doesn't exist.

11/26/2013 07:47 PM

Author Icon
GrimNir
Peon

AMDforMe - You said ".... As far as AMD mobos are concerned you're only chance is with a socket FM2+ mobo, which is newer and ongoing. AM3+ is about to reach EOL in another year."

I'm considering building a new PC - I normally build gaming spec but to be honest haven't gamed for the last 5 years except on xbox. However I mega multi-task, watching videos whilst converting another, surfing the net, and office open etc. So I want a pretty all rounder thats got some future proofing.

I was considering geting the FX8350 8 core and shoving a mid to low range graphics card for now. But if AM3+ is near its end of life would opting for something like the socket FM2,  A10 6800k be better with its built in HD 8670D??

Just wonder what your opinion would be?

11/26/2013 11:29 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

It doesn't matter what AMD's future plans are. For what you need it for, an 8350 will be more than sufficient, considering CPU heavy tasks such as media encoding are GPU assisted. FM2+ and AM3+ will be replaced by new sockets once DDR4 support is added next year.

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
Statistics
84861 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.