Topic Title: Upgrade Path for HTPC & Running Calculations From Mid-Tower or Full Tower
Topic Summary: I have two older deskptop pc's I am attempting to convert for a HTPC and running calculations
Created On: 01/09/2014 09:31 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/09/2014 09:31 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
RAVC
Peon

My current desktop pc's are P3 & P4.  My primary need is to build a HTPC so we can record tv shows, movies, sports events. etc., and strip their commercials before playback or, reconnaissance viewing, for our children to ensure appropriate content.  The bad part is I may need to assemble this within a week.  I hope to find some experienced guidance here.  If I do, I will be off and running.

In general, I want to build a 64-bit system, but I do not think this is a requirement for TiVO type software such as nero, etc, et al.  I will probably purchase Win7 Pro and dual boot with Fedora 20 because, I need to migrate to make the migration to Linux for my own gratification, regardless of the variant.

The complication with this plan is that I would also like to be able to build into this box the capability to perform some numerical analysis calculations.  However, the 9800 GT can take this over if necessary because, I purchased it for graphics capability, CUDA and cost.  Onboard video is not a requirement for me.

I am concerned about power consumption, yet remain attracted to the FX processors if I can identify a cpu/Mbd combination I can afford.  I am uncertain what other hardware will be required or what working accessories I have are sensible to re-use.  As a result of this latter issue it is difficult to convey a budget to use a one constraint to provide direction.  With this said, I am hopeful to use my Sony DRU-820A DVD/CD rewritable drive and the GeForce 9800 GT.

Please let me know if I have overlooked anything.  Additionally, also let me know if you have further questions before you can offer useful advice.

Thanks,

Rick

Statistics
88878 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.