Topic Title: CPU and graphics card upgrade
Topic Summary: What is the best CPU and graphics card upgrade possible for my system
Created On: 03/15/2014 04:05 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/15/2014 04:05 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Lynton-Jenkins
Peon

I have limited knowledge and just a little experience of changing parts in my pc so this question is in two parts - first though my existing system;

AMD Advent with AMD Phenom(tm) IIX2 550 Processor 3.4 GHz, 4.00 GB of RAM, 64-bit operating system.

Graphics AMD Radeon HD5700

Using windows 7

Problem; I have been experiencing a deteriation in game experience, with lag and frame freezing over the last year or so and now regualarily crash and get warnings of max cpu usage. Most of my gaming is in second life Gor. I also use the pc to make textures and mesh using gimp and blender sometimes whilst in the game.

Part 1 of question - Without changing the mother board what is the best cpu and graphics card up dagrades I could go for? In respect of the cpu upgrade whould I also need to upgrade the BIOS?

Part 2 of question - would it be easy for me to carry out these upgrades myself or would I be safer paying for it to be done?

Having done the above upgrades when funds permited I would intend to increase the ram - I beleve I could take this up to 8.00 GB

Thank you

03/16/2014 09:31 AM

Author Icon
Hardwood
Dungeon Master

Before spending money I'd backup anything important, wipe the harddrive(OS partition) and reinstall the OS. Give the ol' computer a fresh start on life.

-------------------------

#1: FX-6350, Antec Kuhler 920, MSI 970 Gaming, Asus 5870/V2, ASUS Xonar D2X, GSkill (F3-14900cl9d-8gbxl), Antec Truepower New 750, Arc Midi, Win8.1pro x64
#2: MSI A88X-G45, AMD A10-7850K, IGP, AMD 2x4GB 2133 (R938G2130UK), Antec 750 True, 128GB Sandisk SSD, WD Black 1TB, Win8.1pro x64
#3: Athlon 64 X2 4200+, AGP 1950pro, Audigy 2, Asus A8V-D, 2gig ram, Enermax 465P, Antec900case. Now on Win8.1pro cat 10.2

04/14/2014 01:03 AM

Author Icon
Gray Wolf
Peon

Originally posted by: Lynton-Jenkins I have limited knowledge and just a little experience of changing parts in my pc so this question is in two parts - first though my existing system;

AMD Advent with AMD Phenom(tm) IIX2 550 Processor 3.4 GHz, 4.00 GB of RAM, 64-bit operating system.

Graphics AMD Radeon HD5700

Using windows 7

Problem; I have been experiencing a deteriation in game experience, with lag and frame freezing over the last year or so and now regualarily crash and get warnings of max cpu usage. Most of my gaming is in second life Gor. I also use the pc to make textures and mesh using gimp and blender sometimes whilst in the game.

Part 1 of question - Without changing the mother board what is the best cpu and graphics card up dagrades I could go for? In respect of the cpu upgrade whould I also need to upgrade the BIOS?

Part 2 of question - would it be easy for me to carry out these upgrades myself or would I be safer paying for it to be done?

Having done the above upgrades when funds permited I would intend to increase the ram - I beleve I could take this up to 8.00 GB

Thank you

Your processor is a bit on the slow side compared to todays standard set-ups, it still is a good processor don't get me wrong and has planty of life left in it, but before changing it out I would go for an addition 4 Gb memory, and update my grahics card first.  This will give you a jump in frame rates from the door at minimum cost.  Rough guess maybe about $200.00 USD.

One thing you need to do is post what power supply you have hard to recommend a graphics card without knowing and that is a big issue. So on who does the upgrade depends on what needs to be done.  Just memory and a new graphics card (hopeing your power supply is better the standard 300x watts) you can do it yourself.

Now if a new power supply is needed you may want someone else with a bit more knowledge to do it for you.  For a decent graphics card a power supply of 450 - 500+ watts is the norm.

Check your power supply and post again here.

Oh and everyone who plays Gor on SL gets lag......lol  

It all depends on the region and how many players, but upgrading your graphics card and memory will help......Tal and peace on your homestone

04/14/2014 09:44 AM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

Agreed with Hardwood. Although Windows 7 is much better at preventing slowdown due to aging, it's still a good idea to wipe it clean and start again every couple of years. It's amazing what a few corrupt registry entries or system files can do to overall system performance.

AMD FX-8350 w/ Corsair H105, ASUS Sabertooth 990FX Gen3/R2, 8GiB G.SKILL DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, Corsair C70, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 04/27/2014 02:06 PM

Author Icon
UcouldBrong
Case Modder

Get a 7000 Series gpu.

Add RAM as noted.

If you upgrade powersupply...get the most you can afford beyond 500w.

Overclock your cpu 200-300Hz.

Clean everything inside the case.

Non-noob components.

Statistics
87542 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 8 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.