Topic Title: SSD and raid1
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/01/2013 09:57 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/01/2013 09:57 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
manuel26
Peon

Hi

i need help please

when i want do a ssd vertex system and a raid1 i cant ...

i used amd raid-ahci for win7 64 but don't work

when i put only only ahci i can boot with ssd so i cant do raid 1

when i put ssd single with raid 1 , bsod for me ?

i need a solution please. i installed ssd firt with updates with last raid drivers but dont work. my motherboard is a asrock 970 extrem , 4 go corsair, athlon x 2, w7integral64

thanks

03/01/2013 10:47 AM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

Well, I don't know how it's supposed to work on your computer, but I do know how it works on mine and most others.

RAID has to be set outside the OS. When you turn on the computer, and RAID mode is enabled, you see a message which shows you which key you need to press. You press it and it takes you to the RAID config utility. There you can set your arrays.

Then you install the drivers for your OS. Always use the drivers provided by the manufacturer of your motherboard, not (!!!!) the drivers from amd.com.

I admit I'm a little confused about your post. You mention something called "SSD single"? What is that? You need at least 2 HDDs for both RAID1 and RAID0. If you have 1 SSD only, use simple AHCI mode, you can't use RAID features.

-------------------------

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 @ 3120MHz | RAM: Kingmax 2x2GB DDR2 800 @ 833MHz| MoBo: MSI K9A2 CF v1.0 (BIOS: 1.D)| GPU: Asus HD 6850 1024MB (DirectCu) @ 835/1135MHz | Display: L24FHD | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad | OS: MS Windows 3.11 Pro x64

03/01/2013 01:34 PM

Author Icon
manuel26
Peon

Hi

thanks

when you put a disk on a stata it's a "single drive"

i did

a single drive : ssd

a raid1 with 2 disk of 1TO

but when i put raid i can't boot ssd

if i put ahci i can but but i loose raid1

the driver and console raid ahci are create by cdrom asrock-amd but it dont work.  the driver are in x86 and my windows is in 64. now i'll try with windows 7  in 32 to see  if i can boot it ... Amd raid ahci is only in x86 no drivers for 64.

i tried to install with msi drivers for motherboard, this application dont work ...

thanks

03/01/2013 03:55 PM

Author Icon
Thanny
Elite

Your problem is that Windows is configured with the AHCI driver only.  With the BIOS set to RAID mode, Windows doesn't have the correct driver loaded, so it will stop the system when it discovers that it can't read thehard drive (it's using BIOS calls to that point in the boot process).

It's a long-standing hassle with Windows that doesn't exist with other operating systems.

What you need to do is install the drivers while booting from the install disc after setting the controller to RAID mode in the BIOS.

The steps are laid out here.  Go down to the section where the "dism" command is used to install drivers from a source medium.  You need to copy the RAID drivers onto a flash drive or burn them to a disc.  Then you can use that command to install them into the existing Windows installation.  Keep in mind that you'll want to load those drivers when booting the install disc to make your installation visible.

Another option is to pony up for a license to Acronis TrueImage or Norton Ghost, which will let you create a backup and restore it to dissimilar hardware.  You'd need an external hard drive big enough to hold your boot drive image, of course.  And it sometimes doesn't work too well.

03/01/2013 05:17 PM

Author Icon
manuel26
Peon

Hi

i dont thikn motherboard is good

970 extrem , drivers are good, i install them with amd-raid ahci

the motherboard dont have take raid

in bios raid is good

ssd single and raid1( 2 hdd)

windows see it but when you install it s error  when i use ahci its work without raid .

i think its last time i buy asrock ... i ll pass at another motherboard i did all forum in france, england, usa .... imposssible to find a solution ....

it s a surprise for me this motherboard

bye

03/01/2013 07:49 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

When in RAID mode, is the SSD configured as a JBOD correctly in the RAID settings? You need to do this if it's not done automatically.

-------------------------

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 @ 3120MHz | RAM: Kingmax 2x2GB DDR2 800 @ 833MHz| MoBo: MSI K9A2 CF v1.0 (BIOS: 1.D)| GPU: Asus HD 6850 1024MB (DirectCu) @ 835/1135MHz | Display: L24FHD | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad | OS: MS Windows 3.11 Pro x64

03/02/2013 01:40 PM

Author Icon
manuel26
Peon

Hi
i know perhaps why my raid dont work ....
its supid but it a possibility
I got a ssd and 2To, my raid its 1 and 1 TO ( in the bios i can see 1To in mirror ) but in reality i got 2 TO and 120 giga ...
So perhaps i need to use raid not with bios but with uefi in command line ...
but i got a stupid question...
can i do the ssd + raid in uefi and i start windows install
or i put ssd alone in ahci i put windows on it, i do upgrades for win ... i reboot and install raid ?
i think i see the issue ...

Statistics
84095 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.