Topic Title: RAIDXpert v POST RAID configuration
Topic Summary: Unable to see RAID 5 array created in POST RAID configurator
Created On: 11/29/2013 12:23 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/29/2013 12:23 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
RobertT
Peon

I'm well and truly confused.

I've downloaded and installed the latest version of the RAIDXpert software.

I have 2 75GB disks in a RAID 1 array for my system drive, configured in the POST RAID configuration tool. These are visible to the OS (Win 8.1) as a single drive, and the RAIDXpert SW sees them fine.

The remaining 3 1TB disks are configured as a RAID 5 array using the POST tool, however neither Windows nor RAIDXpert sees them as a single drive, but instead sees them as 3 spearate drives.

I've tried deleting the LD in the POST configurator, however however I look at it in the RAIDXpert, thre are 3 disks, and I don't have the option of RAID 5 if I use RAIDXpert to configure a new drive. All I can do is make a RAID1, JBOD, RAID Ready etc.

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

I've configured RAID on HP, Dell, IBM and Cisco servers without any issues. This seems to be a whole new world of complexity.

11/30/2013 01:22 AM

Author Icon
QB the Slayer
Master Looter

What is your MB?  For mine (see sig below) there is an option in the BIOS to enable RAID5...  oddly enough, I need it enabled even if I don't use RAID5 (my SSD's would never go above 500 MB/s without it enabled)

QB

-------------------------

The MONSTER HTPC:

CPU: AMD FX-8350.||.Cooler: Corsair H80i
MB: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD7.||.RAM: 8 GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3 2000MHz (7-10-8-27-1T)
Case: CoolerMaster HAF 932.||.PSU: Corsair HX750
GPU:Asus R9 270X DirectCU II TOP.||.Audio: Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro w/ Logitech Z-5300e (5.1, 280W-RMS)
System Drive: 2xSamsung 840 Pro 128GB RAID0.||.Working Drive: 2xMushkin Chronos 60GB RAID0

11/30/2013 03:46 PM

Author Icon
RobertT
Peon

My Motherboard is an ASUS M4A88TD-M

RAID has to be enabled in the BIOS in order to get the POST RAID configuration (CTRL-F to access it).

I'll try to upload screen shots...

11/30/2013 05:40 PM

Author Icon
QB the Slayer
Master Looter

I know that...  and I know you know that (LOL)...  but what my MB has is a seperate RAID5 option in the BIOS.  I was curious if yours did too.

The only other thing I can think of at the moment is...  what ports are your drives (all of them) connected to?  and are the 3 1TB drives identical?

QB

The MONSTER HTPC:

MB: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD7.||.RAM: 8 GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3 2000MHz (7-10-8-27-1T)
GPU:Asus R9 270X DirectCU II TOP.||.Audio: Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro w/ Logitech Z-5300e (5.1, 280W-RMS)
System Drive: 2xSamsung 840 Pro 128GB RAID0.||.Working Drive: 2xMushkin Chronos 60GB RAID0

12/02/2013 06:40 AM

Author Icon
RobertT
Peon

I checked the BIOS settings and wondered if there was something at play regarding the numbering of the drives.

The BIOS mentions drives 1-4 and drives 5-6 can be configured for RAID etc. WHile they all were, I wondered if reconfiguring them might help.

My drives were connected as follows:

SATA 1 80GB

SATA 2 80GB

SATA 3 1000GB

SATA 4 1000GB

SATA 5 1000GB

SATA 6 ATAPI DVD drive.

I reconfigured as follows:

SATA 1 ATAPI DVD drive.

SATA 2 1000GB

SATA 3 1000GB

SATA 4 1000GB

SATA 5 80GB

SATA 6 80GB

I reconfigured the arrays, so that I had a RAID 1 set using drives 5 and 6, and reset the BOOT priority etc so that thesewould be the boot drives. I reset a RAID 5 group using drives 2-4.

Once I'd reinstalled Windows 8.1... The RAID 5 group still doesn't exist. The RAID 1 group does. RAIDXpert doesn't give me the option of setting a RAID 5 array using the 3 1TB drives.

I can only surmise that this RAID controller is actually unable to manage more than 1 RAID group using different RAID levels, so is fairly worthless really. Most systems I design and get built have a RAID 1 system drive, and RAID 5 for the data drives. It's a pity really, as I was hoping to set this up as my Hyper-V server.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Robert

12/02/2013 06:43 AM

Author Icon
RobertT
Peon

Oh, and the drives are identical - the 80GB drives are the same, as are all of the 1TB drives...

12/02/2013 07:08 AM

Author Icon
QB the Slayer
Master Looter

You could be right...  I am out of ideas now...  I run 2 RAID arrays, but both are RAID0

QB

The MONSTER HTPC:

12/06/2013 08:26 PM

Author Icon
RobertT
Peon

I managed to  solve it. Checking out the ASUS website for Windows 8.1 drivers didn't yield anything, however Windows 7 drivers and tools were more helpful. I managed to update the BIOS by using the ASUSUpdate tool in the Windows 7 downloads. I also found a driver on a completely different site via another forum (I love Google!) This thread(http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1870491/configuring-raid-asus-m5a99fx-pro.html) had this link(http://66.226.78.21/downloadsite/drivers/AMD/SATA/Floppy_Win8-64_Win8(v3.3.1540.33).zip) that was te correct driver. I applied this to the Storage Controllers - AMD AHCI Compatible RAID Controller in Windows Device Manager and after a reboot, there was my RAID array and one nice big disk in disk manager.

The AMD site itself only seems to offer video drivers - pretty useless really.

I logged a call with AMD a week ago too. Uploaded a document with some screen shots etc. Had one automatic response then finally the following:

Dear Robert,

Your service request : SR #{ticketno:[820056xxxx]} has been reviewed and updated.

Response and Service Request History:

Unfortunately, I did not see any attached document to your submitted ticket.  RAID setups are something that we do not really support.  We have the RAID Xpert software, but it's more of a reporting and management tool.  As for how to setup a RAID and what is all needed - we do not offer support.

Here is the PDF link for the RAID Xpert Guide.  Hopefully it will provide you the information you need to setup your RAID correctly:
http://www2.ati.com/relnotes/AMD_RAIDXpert_User_v2.1.pdf

In order to update this service request, please respond, leaving the service request reference intact.

Best regards,

Marc
AMD Global Customer Care

Pretty poor effort really. All I needed was the driver. A link would have been nice...

If you have the original MB CD, the driver that works for Windows 8.1  is on it in the directory Drivers\RAID\Driver\Win 7\Raid\x64. Just ensure you apply it to the Storage Controller - AMD AHCI Compatible Spaces Controller.

03/25/2014 12:39 PM

Author Icon
coryphaena
Peon

I've wasted quite a few hours arriving at this conclusion: RAIDXpert does not WORK!

I’ve tried everything I can think of on this machine and NOTHING will get the 1 gb drives to appear in RAIDXpert/Advanced.

I’ve booted from the SSD and tried running RX from there. No change in Advanced drop-down (it’s always blank)

Changing the drives to RAID in RX makes the SSD drive (on SATA 1) fail to boot into W7.

Moving the SDD to SATA port 5 (or 6) and setting those two ports to any available options fails to boot Windows from it.

Removing all drives besides one 1 GB drive and installing Win7 and RAIDXpert to it, then adding the other two 1GB drives on SATA ports 1-2-3 allows boot but still fails to have any of the drives appear in RAIDXpert under “advanced”.

All drives appear in BIOS when connected.

All three 1 GB drives are freshly formatted NTFS.

ASUS F2A55-M motherboard

AMD processor

4 GB RAM (one DIMM)

64 GB SSD 6gbps SATA for OS/boot with Win7 installed on it

3 TB SATA HDD (not physically connected at all during this ‘experiment&rsquo

3 x 1 GB SATA HDD for RAID 5

Win7 Home Premium 64 (I can but have not yet tried Pro or Ultimateas I don’t think that’s the issue)

Statistics
86438 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.