Topic Title: Installing Windows 7 on m500 RAID0 with AMD RAID controller - I am going insane
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/28/2014 05:38 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/28/2014 05:38 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
spuzzum
Peon

So I have been attempting to figure out what is wrong with my attempt to upgrade my system with higher capacity ssds.

My mobo is an ASUS M4A89GTD Pro/USB3 with the 850 SouthBridge.

I had my system working A-OK and set up previously as:

SATA1: 80GB OCZ Vertex 2 SSD RAID 0
SATA2: 80GB OCZ Vertex 2 SSD RAID 0
SATA3: 2TB HDD RAID5
SATA4: 2TB HDD RAID5
SATA5: 2TB HDD RAID5
SATA6: Disc Drive

and I am now attempting to change out the 80gb ssds with new m500 480GB SSDs in RAID 0.

Since things aren't currently working, I'm testing out stuff with the following setup

SATA1: 480GB Crucial m500 SSD RAID 0
SATA2: 480GB Crucial m500 SSD RAID 0
SATA3: empty
SATA4: empty
SATA5: 1TB Windows 7 Bootable
SATA6: Disc Drive

Both the Windows installer with drivers via USB stick, and a separate copy of the Windows 7 OS running with drivers cannot  see any of the crucial drives when the mobo has their SATA ports in RAID mode.  Checking via RAID Xpert in the windows OS also shows nothing.  RAID mode works with all the other drives, it's just the m500s that seem to not show up - it doesn't matter what RAID type, (0, 1, 5) and even setting them to just RAID Ready or even having none of them set up in the RAID utility at all won't make a difference.

The m500s DO show up when the SATA ports are in AHCI mode.

They also show up fine when using a Linux installer (but RAID also works fine, not just AHCI) - I installed Ubuntu as a test onto the two m500s in my RAID 0 LD and that worked just fine.

I have updated the BIOS to the latest from ASUS.

I have updated the firmware on the m500s to MU05

I have tried all versions of the AMD drivers from the ASUS site, as well as the latest from AMD's support site.

I have tried using a Windows 7 install disk, Windows 7 SP1 Install disk, and Windows 8 install disk.

Clonezilla sadly wont work to clone my working install from the single 1TB onto the RAID array as it  sees them as separate disks.

Nothing has worked to get the drives to show up in Windows while the mobo's SATA controller is in RAID mode.

Does the m500 just plain not work with AMD's ghetto RAID drivers on windows?  It seems rather sad that Linux works fine with zero effort while I've spent a whole two days trying everything under the sun to get this tragedy of a driver situation to work with Windows.  Any help on figuring out this mess would be greatly appreciated.

03/29/2014 11:35 AM

Author Icon
Greybear
Peon

Odd.

So I did a little search for the Crucial m500 Windows Raid issues and found this [url=http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-State-Drives-SSD/Two-M500-drives-in-RAID-are-not-visible-to-Win7-amp-8-installers/td-p/141535]thread[/url].

What I noticed is that it is 2 different boards, but essentially the same issue.

Reading it, I came to a thought. Down about middle a guy gave up on the setup and decided to put one is each computer.  But One is not seen in the other computer.

So the thought I have, Did you update the Firmware on BOTH drives seperately?

Edited: 03/29/2014 at 11:46 AM by Greybear
 03/29/2014 02:26 PM

Author Icon
spuzzum
Peon

I saw that thread as well.

That user decided not to use RAID and is using the drives on two different computers in AHCI mode - not sure why one isn't showing up.

I updated the Firmware on both drives at the same time - the MU05 update disk you make will go through all m500 drives that are currently on your computer and update them one after another.  The latest firmware didn't make it suddenly work with AMD's drivers though.

I would advise anyone also having issues with AMD's drivers to file a support ticket http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/ticketprocess.aspx

and give their support a call to let them know:

CAN/US Tel: 877-284-1566 (Toll Free)

Other countries on their website: http://support.amd.com/en-us/contact

Maybe enough complaints will get them to update their drivers or at least get a hotfix out or something.

Edited: 03/29/2014 at 02:45 PM by spuzzum
 03/29/2014 03:41 PM

Author Icon
Greybear
Peon

Got two thoughts.

One:

The SB850 SATA controller shares the IRQ with the PCIE x16_1

The JMicron shares with PCIE x16_2.

Now what I find interesting is most boards want you to use the PCIE x16_1 (grey)  slot for a Single GPU setup.

This board specifically states to use the PCIE x16_2 (blue) slot for a Single GPU setup.

So, do not get mad at me, but you are using the PCIE x16_2 (blue) slot, yes?

Trying to find anything you might not have tried

Two:

Place One SSD on SATA1 and the other on SATA3  then try and establish the RAID in the BIOS.  (As I assume your using SATA1 / SATA2 by the description above)

Save and Reboot.

[CTRL]+[F] and setup the raid arrray.

Edited: 03/29/2014 at 04:01 PM by Greybear
 03/29/2014 03:54 PM

Author Icon
spuzzum
Peon

Well there's something I never considered.  I wonder what would make the GPU interfere with RAID...

I'm running my GPU through the blue PCIE slot, yes.  It's the only way my graphics card would fit with the sata slots filled.

03/29/2014 03:59 PM

Author Icon
Greybear
Peon

Then your running it correctly...I added another thought above as well.

I was considering the hardware level IRQ conflict possibly, but does not appear to be happening.

03/29/2014 04:07 PM

Author Icon
spuzzum
Peon

I was trying that the other day, yeah.

Mixing and matching SATA ports didn't really change anything with RAID creation.

I can make  RAID 0, RAID 1, set them to RAID Ready, or just not have anything created and just have the BIOS set the SATA ports to RAID mode.  Windows 7 still wont be able to find the drives unless I switch the SATA ports over to AHCI or IDE mode.

The funny thing is, Ubuntu linux finds the drives in RAID mode just fine, and I did a test install on them which worked 100%.  I think that rules out the BIOS, Firmware, SATA ports/cables and the RAID controller from being the problem.  It seems like the only thing left is the AMD driver package for Windows (the Windows 8 version of the driver package also did not work).

03/29/2014 06:31 PM

Author Icon
Greybear
Peon

Looking around I found several tidbits.  Just going to drop them here. They do not change your issue or help, but did not want to lose them incase they were vital.

M500 series uses the Marvell 88SS9187 controller.

And at NewEgg: 

Originally posted by Maria K.

This review is from: Crucial M500 240GB SATA 2.5" 7mm (with 9.5mm adapter) Internal Solid State Drive CT240M500SSD1

Pros: none, never got a chance to try

Cons: windows wont recognize these in raid0 configured stripe. tried every possible bios and physical connection configuration with win7 and win8. and nothing on crucial website either, except other frustrated owners posts.....

Other Thoughts: my rig is amd 990ex . don't buy these if you have a similar rig and want raid0. take my word for it

03/29/2014 06:53 PM

Author Icon
spuzzum
Peon

Yeah, that user will have a Southbridge 950 chip on the 990EX board to manage the SATA functionality - mine is a Southbridge 850 but both will be requiring pretty much that same set of AMD RAID drivers for Windows 7 to actually interface with the SB850.  It's good to know that it's not necessarly the variety of Southbridge chip that is causing issues - if it's happening to mine, and to someone with a 950, then it stands to reason that it isn't the chip itself that is the problem.

Thanks for looking out for some of this stuff.  If I could write my own drivers I would gladly do so to be rid of this mess.

05/15/2014 12:53 PM

Author Icon
joaovalle
Peon

Statistics
88878 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.