Topic Title: AMD Uninstall utility screwed my pc
Topic Summary:
Created On: 05/20/2014 12:18 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05/20/2014 12:18 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
theBobanater
Peon

I bought another graphics card from Nvidia, and decided to use the AMD uninstall tool....I let it run, then it asked me to restart, so I did.  But now, I can't boot into windows, at all.  Safe mode won't load either.  What happens is that the computer shows the "Starting Windows" text, but not the four dots.  Then it jumps right into the Recovery Environment and tries to scan my pc for startup errors, but it doesn't find anything wrong.  It's been caught in a loop like this ever since the Uninstall.  I've been tearing my hair out trying to figure this damn thing out since it happened on friday lol.  My computer is a HP Pavilion Elite HPE-235f, running windows 7 ultimate 64 bit...hard drive is a 7200 rpm sata drive that was running just fine in AHCI, RAID, AND IDE modes prior to the uninstall...but now, it is not loading windows at all, except the recovery environment.  The recovery environment DOES detect my windows install upon loading, so how can I fix this issue without re installing windows, if possible?

Here's the link to information about my PC:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c02201201#N1494

the only things that were changed on that PC is a custom install of windows 7 x64, since i was completely dissatisfied with the HP bloatware and wanted to go the clean route.  The drive and OS worked just fine up until the recent AMD uninstall utility use.  Also, I stupidly decided to disable system restore and the windows backup utility a few weeks prior, so that's not an option for me, either, unfortunately lol.

Thanks for all your help!

Edited: 05/20/2014 at 12:37 AM by theBobanater
 05/20/2014 12:45 AM

Author Icon
bobbyrae
Peon

There's a couple of things I am not clear on.  Is the new video card actually installed, or were you just preparing to install it?  Because if it is in there, the first thing would be to take it out and see if the system boots without, but then you probably would have tried that already...

And just WHAT were you uninstalling? All AMD software?  Have you considered that maybe there was some hardware error and the uninstall was just happening at the same time?

05/20/2014 12:56 AM

Author Icon
theBobanater
Peon

Yes, the new video card had already been installed, and I was using the tool to remove the catalyst driver for the old card.  I did try taking the new card out, and it still will not boot no matter which way.

05/20/2014 09:19 AM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

Boot using last known good configuration.

-------------------------
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 05/20/2014 07:28 PM

Author Icon
theBobanater
Peon

I tried that, didn't work...In the end, I managed to get my pc working again by doing this:  launching startup repair from the windows DVD, opening the command prompt, and typing the SFC /scannow prompt-it came back with an error saying that a pending system repair was preventing it from running, so i went into the winSXS folder, deleted the reboot and pending.xml files, ran sfc /scannow again, and it completed successfully..so i shut down the computer, installed the old card again, and turned back on...this time it booted into windows.  I then noticed that the utility hadn't removed all the catalyst drivers, so i uninstalled them all manually, restarted the pc, shut it down again, then removed the old card and installed my new card, booted back up properly...I have since installed the drivers and all other software, and my pc is working normally again...maybe my experience can help someone else who is having a similar problem!  Why can't AMD make a software that just works, lol...  thanks anyways though guys!

Statistics
86636 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 5 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.