Topic Title: AMD Overdrive - super frustrating!
Topic Summary: Can't get turbo mode to stay turned off
Created On: 05/20/2014 12:34 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05/20/2014 12:34 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
bobbyrae
Peon

ASUS A88x-pro

A6-6400

Win7 32-bit

I did SOMETHING, I am still not sure what, that put my system into turbo mode and I could not figure out how to turn it off.

Before going any further, I want to say that I think it is quite irresponsible for any software product to make changes to your system without your permission behind your back.  If they make changes affecting processor speed, it should be crystal clear to the user that it is happening, and also how to reverse it.

Even though I had set the BIOS so the CPU speed was manually set (not auto), and I set it at 3.9GHz, every time I would boot it would be at 4.1.  Now let's not argue about whether or not overclocking is good or bad -- I just want the system to stay set the way I set it, and it wouldn't do that!

I had to go into AMD OD every time after booting and go to the clock/voltage window and press the Turbo Core Control button and then uncheck the enable turbo box. Then it would go back to what I had set in the BIOS.

So the question I have is: HOW does the CPU speed get changed? How does turbo mode get re-enabled? During this extremely frustrating (and even scary) time, I had intentionally turned off all the AMD services and even gone into the registry to turn off these other pesky unofficial AMD processes (like CLIstart.exe) that were getting started without my knowledge. So, from what I could tell, there was no AMD software running at startup, services or otherwise, and yet the turbo mode would get turned on after being off. What is doing that?

I went into AMD OD settings and tried to restore the defaults. No change.  I played with the Misc settings like "Apply my last settings when system boots". I went into the BIOS more times than I can remember making sure the CPU speed had not changed and nothing was set to overclocking.  I played around with some of those settings to see if there was a difference. No change.

You are wodering why I used the word "scary", huh?  Because sometimes when I was in AMD OD and I pressed the "apply" button, the screen immediately went black and then the computer shut off.  Had to press the power button to get going again. At one point the system was crashing and rebooting right after startup. A nice little temp monitor program that had been working fine for months would trigger the crash when I pressed its OK button. I think the CPU was trying to do about 4.4GHz at that point. I saw that briefly displayed before a crash.

So... does anyone know what keeps turning turbo mode back on?

05/20/2014 12:44 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
santaranger
Peon

Try disabling Turbo Core in BIOS.

It's also called Core Performance Boost, or CPB.

Statistics
84708 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.