Topic Title: Need major driver help.
Topic Summary:
Created On: 12/19/2013 09:21 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/19/2013 09:21 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
CantThinkOfaWittyName
Peon

I have a Packard Bell EasyNote LS44HR laptop with AMD Radeon HD 6650M graphics card.

I have been running on default drivers of this laptop, from 2011, for a long time because I am simply enough unable to find a working driver. First place of course is to download the automatic driver tool from AMD, the Verification Tool that is. However I am unable to run the program because I have incompatible hardware and I should seek support from the manufacturer. Packard Bell is no dice becuse the latest drivers they are giving for me are even older than the ones my laptop came with.

This is probably because Packard Bell no longer exists, it is owned by Acer. So I venture to Acer's website and true to their reputation the website does not work, I am unable to search for drivers. The only accessible search functions do not produce results, they just load load and load some more, after 20 minutes of waiting I gave up on it.

I head back to AMD then, and download the latest Beta driver (13.11). I install it successfully, but it causes a flickering problem. Whenever there is activity on the screen, like scrolling a page, thin black lines no more than a few pixels thick blink in the screen. Not a major issue but very annoying, so the beta driver is no dice.

On another forum, a member uploaded driver version 13.4 for me, just a few months old from what I understand. However that driver also has the same issue so I can't use it. He uploads three more drivers: 12.2, 12.4 and 12.10. Only 12.2 of these was functional, but not without problems as I will elaborate soon. 12.4 does not have the lines, but it causes BSOD on me even when playing games as old as from 1997. I do not remember the exact words in the BSOD message but it has something to do with the driver.

This driver orgy has already damaged my computer enough that I regret ever trying to update them in the first place. 12.10 has the lines again so I scrap it. Whatever happened after 12.2 is very angry at my laptop.

As said 12.2 works, but not without issues. Every time I start my computer, a program which I recall was named Service Host or something crashes and AMD control center shuts down from my taskbar. An Internet search revealed that I must toggle Hide function in AppData folder, this fixed the issue but the hiding would revert back for no reason. I'm not putting up with that garbage so I returned to the old 2011 drivers. While 12.2 does work, I don't understand why it insists on being such an obstacle.

Why is this being so difficult?

EDIT: I realized that 12.2 does indeed break my laptop in a way. When using it I could not play most video files (it seemed to alternate between MP4 and AVI, I could not make any patterns for it). It also broke Youtube when using Opera, though Chrome did run Youtube just fine. When I returned to the old driver, all these issues are gone.

Edited: 12/19/2013 at 09:45 AM by CantThinkOfaWittyName
 12/20/2013 11:25 AM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

First, make sure you are fully updated with Windows update...all optional/recommended updates except any graphics drivers. Then follow these steps (no need asking..yes, it says desktop drivers).

http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=448&threadid=170251&enterthread=y

-------------------------

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

04/13/2014 03:01 AM

Author Icon
CantThinkOfaWittyName
Peon

After several months I am still unable to get drivers working.

Yes I am fully up to date with Windows update. Hard not to be. I followed your link and did as you say, but after installing new drivers I get the same flickering problem I had before.

Out of desperation I returned to 12.2, and although it does not flicker it breaks multiple things on my laptop. I can no longer toggle Read Only (it resets immediately), Catalyst Conrol Center Host Application crashes every time it is run, and a large number of programs either do not run at all or run only in Windows XP compatibility mode. This affects some games, but not all.

Packard Bell's "latest" drivers are still ancient 8.something drivers from 2011. To add insult to injury, when I downloaded them after I had given up on 12.2, the archive offered at PB is faulty and it is unable to install the driver properly. I am therefore stuck with the clearly broken 12.2.

EDIT: I uninstalled 12.2, leaving me with no driver at all even the old 2011 one, and now my laptop works normally again, I can run programs that I couldn't with 12.2.

So I'll say it again: I can install almost any driver I am offered, and besides 12.2 strangely enough, they all work on the surface. However, all of them except my old 2011 driver and 12.2 cause massive flickering on my screen: thin black lines about a pixel or two thick. I can use my laptop and play games, but the lines are very annoying and I worry that they cause damage. This cannot be caused by my graphics card since as said my original driver did not have this issue.

EDIT2: To be precise, the lines appear only when there is activity on the screen, like if I am scrolling down a page, moving my cursor etc.

I sure know to go Nvidia next time I buy a computer.

Edited: 04/13/2014 at 03:44 AM by CantThinkOfaWittyName
Statistics
84277 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.