Topic Title: How to Use Two Displays as a Single Desktop
Topic Summary:
Created On: 04/05/2014 06:15 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/05/2014 06:15 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
ray
Peon

I would like to have my two displays operate as one large desktop; right now, they have the same image -cloned.

In Windows 8, on this same machine, the displays operate as a single large desktop.  I don't know how to make that happen in Debian 7.4 under Gnome.  I just installed this last week and I have not be able to determine how to change it.

The Sapphire 7770 drives did not appear to be included in the initial installation which I perform as a net install.  I eventually found a reference to Catalyst and performed an apt-get to include it.  I saw no change to the system; until I rebooted.  The boot typically displayed large, low resolution font.  But after the update, only the firs 4 lines were course then the screen changes and I get small, high resolution font - very usuable.

But I have found nothing new in the desktop interface.  When I use system tool, monitor, it only shows one unrecognized monitor.

I don't know if there is a configuration issue, or what.

Please suggest how I might determine how to get the system to recognize the two monitors.

TIA,

Ray

-------------------------

MB Big Bang-XPower II, CPU Intel i7-3930K CPU @ 3.20GHz x12,
GPU Sapphire 7770, RAM 32GB, 1 TB HDD, 4 ea 64 GB SSD, PSU 850W,
Windows 8, Debian 7.4 (wheezy) 64-bit, GNOME 3.4.2

Statistics
84130 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 6 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.