Topic Title: Updating Drivers for Switchable Graphics and Resolution Issues
Topic Summary: I am having trouble updating my graphics drivers and in-game resolution.
Created On: 05/24/2014 08:34 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05/24/2014 08:34 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
xcftw
Peon

Hello, 

I was not sure where to post this so I hope I am in the right subforum. 

I have a Dell Inspiron 7520 with switchable graphics - an Intel(R) HG Graphics 4000 (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM 1.2) running driver 9.17.10.2768 from 5/26/2012 and AMD Radeon HD 7700M Series running driver 14.100.0.0 from 4/17/2014. 

When I got my laptop back in 2012 the AMD card did not work at all. Catalyst Control Center wouldn't open and on Device Manager there would appear a yellow exclamation point. For one year I emailed Dell and called Dell and IM'ed Dell over this. They even did the remote access and updated the drivers they thought it needed. Nothing worked but they refused to say it was a faulty computer. I was finally able to get the graphics card functioning - I can't remember what I did - and it worked great up until I bought Sim City 5. The game kept saying my graphics card driver was old. I tried updating through Device Manager and it kept saying that it was the most recent driver, I went to AMD and updated and it would say it updated but the driver date still said 2012, when I knew I downloaded a 2014 driver. I finally used the "uninstall" tool and uninstalled the old driver and it's components and reinstalled the 2014 driver. It worked and the game ran beautifully. I had no issues that I knew of. 

Two weeks later I tried to connect a device to my USB and it didn't work. None of my USB ports worked. I contacted Dell and they said since I let my warranty expire (they never were any help while it was still active!) they could not help, or I could pay $120. Nope. I tried a lot of things to get them going but could not find the cause of the issue with the USB ports. I decided to not worry about it that night and decided to instead start playing Need for Speed World: Online for a bit. I installed some Windows updates first and one of them had to do with graphics. After that install when I opened NFSW the resolution was very small, despite being set on it's usual 1980 x 1080-ish which is exactly what my screen resolution is. Oddly enough, the world itself looks normal, but pop ups and text within the game is very small. This had never been an issue before. I ended up needing to restart the laptop for something and when it turned back on it blue screened during startup. It automatically restarts so it blue screened about three times before giving me advanced start up options. I Googled the error code it had given me and it said that the blue screen was due to corrupt graphic card driver. I ended up doing a refresh in hopes of fixing the graphics card driver error and the USBs. When the laptop finished my USBs did work, but my AMD was back to nonfunctional. (just like when I got the laptop in 2012) I uninstalled the driver and reinstalled 2014 and now I no longer have the yellow exclamation point and the card appears to be working. I have certain games set to use it in CCC. Unfortunately, despite the refresh the resolution within the game is still tiny! I think resolution is the word for it. Nothing else is messed up. Not sure about any other games since I currently have nothing else installed. 

After all that - what can I do? How do I fix this. Everything I have found on the forums point to the graphics card but I don't know what's wrong with it. I do know that my Intel's driver is outdated but Device Manager says I have the newest version and when I try to download a new version it tells me it isn't compatible. 

The refresh wiped out all of my games, so the only one I have right now is NFSW. As far as game play everything is smooth. It is just all of the maps and text and pop ups that are tiny. 

Does anyone have any idea why the game has changed and how I can fiz it? Also, does anyone else have any experience or advice as far as the switchable graphics? How do I keep them updated, etc.

I know this was a long post and I thank you for reading it. I have been fighting with my AMD card for two years and I am ready for it to work well!

Thank you,

xcftw

Update 5/24/2014 7:57 PM - Just played Need For Speed World for a bit and it was painfully laggy. I doubt it is my Internet speed; (Internet is plenty fast) I am putting money on my Graphics Card. 

Edited: 05/24/2014 at 09:02 PM by xcftw
 05/24/2014 11:04 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Please read UPDATING MOBILITY DRIVERS...especially the part about switchable graphics.

-------------------------

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

05/24/2014 11:48 PM

Author Icon
xcftw
Peon

Thank you for the quick response! 

I am, however, confused. From what I think I read your post says my switchable graphics laptop is not compatible with the AMD Mobility Radeon Driver Verification Tool. That is what I used to update. The tool recommended the 14.something update. I went to the Dell website presented in your post and the suggested driver for my laptop is Version 13.151.0.0,A00.

That makes me weary. Back when my laptop was in warranty and I was having graphics issues Dell did Remote Access, updated the drivers to what the Dell site recommended, and I had even more trouble than before. I updated to what was on AMD's site. Recently I was having trouble with SimCity 5. It wouldn't run and I would get an error telling me that my graphics driver was outdated. When I updated to the 14.something driver (newest) it would run however upon install the installation wizard said that the driver wasn't installed because it wasn't the right version - I cannot remember the exact words but it was something alluding to the driver not matching the card.. or something.. When I check Device Manager it says 14.something and SimCity started working and no more errors. 

A few days later I installed the update from Microsoft that had to due with graphics.. I just don't remember what exactly. That's when the screen resolution got weird in NFSW. The resolution was set to 1920 x 1080 but the font and pop ups within the game were tiny. I never got to fix that because at the same time my USB ports weren't working, and then the laptop started blue screening at startup due to a graphic card driver error. I ended up doing a refresh. 

After the refresh my AMD card was not working at all. In DM there showed a yellow error exclamation point. I updated to 14.something again and it was back to functioning. NFSW still had tiny text and pop ups. I just reinstalled SimCity 5 and it will run, however whenever I launch the game it gives me the error of an outdated graphics driver. 

I just want to figure out who to trust and how to update my AMD card. Dell will not provide any support without a large fee since I let my warranty run out - they never were any help when I had my warranty so it was essentially a waste of money. This is why I am contacting AMD or people knowledgeable about AMD. Who do I trust? Should I uninstall the newest update and use what's on Dell's site? 

Are these problems common in switchable graphics? When I first received the laptop brand new the AMD card didn't work at all. Likewise, after the refresh it didn't work at all. Dell never took any responsibilty for it which really makes me sour towards them. 

Thanks again!

05/25/2014 12:24 AM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Yes...those issues are quite common with switchable graphic update attempts...ditto with Dell. Are your USB ports working?  Chances are using the AMD Clean Uninstall Tool removed the usb drivers and other things that it shouldn't. I would suggest a system restore to a earlier time, but it seems you have been having issues from the start. My suggestion would be..reinstall your OS....I assume it is Windows 7. If you have a recovery disk or partition reinstall then go back (several times) and run Windows Update. Pay special attention to the 'recommended' or 'suggested'updates which are not automatically installed (like netframework updates). Do not install any graphics driver...either Intel or AMD. Once you are fully updated, and have the factory graphics drivers, then install the Leshcat driver suite. Read about Leshcat drivers here. Follow his directions...these drivers must be installed OVER a working set of original drivers. Make sure you turn off any anti-virus/anti- adware/anti-malware/anti-anything before starting to install the new drivers. Just make sure your laptop has all the Mirosoft updates and you have checked Dell's support site for any bios update.

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

05/25/2014 12:36 AM

Author Icon
xcftw
Peon

Thank you again for the fast reply! (:

Yes, thankfully my USB ports are working. Part of my job requires using a drawing tablet and when my USB ports didn't work, well that was a big problem! They are doing fine now. My theory all along was that the AMD Clean Uninstall Tool removed the USB drivers, but when I was trying to tell that to Dell (and later Microsoft when Dell was going to charge me) they acted like they had no idea what I was talking about. I am very happy you mentioned it. It just makes me feel like maybe I know what I am talking about. LOL! I also noticed my touchpad for my mouse didn't have the Windows 8 gestures anymore after the uninstall tool. Now it's back to functioning too. I'm sure other things were not working correctly as well and I just didn't notice. 

I am actually running Windows 8.1 and just two days ago did a full system refresh. I tried the system restore first but I did not have a restore point far enough back to make a difference. Still had all of the issues. Refreshing the system got my USBs, mouse, and I'm sure other things working but screwed up my AMD card again. It was completely nonfunctional (just like when the laptop was brand new) after the refresh. That was when I redownloaded the 14.something driver. Now it's kind of working but I know it's not right.

I actually cannot find any of my Windows 8 disks! ): I was looking through my Cds the other day before I refreshed the system and could only find my old laptop's Windows 7 software. I will look again for my Windows 8 Cds. I know I should have them somewhere..

I am going to go to bed now but will search again and get back to you tomorrow night. I will read about Leshcat's drivers as well. What should I do if I cannot find my Windows 8 Cds? I could do another refresh and have everything set back to factory as far as the system and settings.

Thank you!  

05/25/2014 01:13 AM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Checking your laptop model number at Dell support, it doesn't look like you have switchable graphics. That's a big difference. The Intel graphics is part of the OS...the I3/5/7 2nd generation and newer. Looks like you have a discrete AMD card.

Also, if you haven't found it yet, here are the drivers for your laptop, if this is indeed your model. Use the dropdown to show windows 8.1.

First update your bios.

05/25/2014 01:29 AM

Author Icon
xcftw
Peon

Yes, that appears to be my laptop. Inspiron 15R Special Edition. From everything I have read they call what my laptop has "switchable graphics." If working correctly the laptop should switch to the AMD card when more power is needed and switch back to the Intel card during normal operation for power saving. I have to go into CCC and set certain games to High Performance usually to switch the card on, plus I have all of my power settings set to High Performance when plugged in. The problem I had was that my AMD card was completely nonfunctional so I was stuck on the Intel. Eventually I was able to get the AMD working well enough until recently - which I talked about in my first post to great length. I have used that Dell page to update with before and never had good luck so I've avoided it. When the Dell tech used Remote Access they went to that page and downloaded the recommended drivers for the graphics cards and everything went to the pits. I had to delete the driver and reinstall from AMD directly to get anything working, but that was a year and a half ago. Things may be different now. 

So, where are we at? Do I install from Dell or do I go back to factory drivers and install from the website you gave me earlier? Or would you like more information about my system? I really appreciate you taking the time to help me and talking to me in real person language! LOL! So many forum replies these days are step-by-step, non personalized responses that sometimes aren't even kind of related to the issue your having. I've been struggling with this for so long and have really just been pushed under the rug by Dell, I am so so so glad someone is giving me some ideas and taking me seriously! Pretty sad to be so excited over something so basic, huh?

Also, I know absolutely nothing about updating Bios. I've never once done it. 

Thank you! (: 

05/25/2014 01:55 AM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Bios update is simple...you download it to your desktop, close all windows, run it, it does it's thing then reboots the computer. Done. After that is done, go into the bios..do you know how to do that? If so,look for something having to do with the video/vga..and look to change the graphics to "static" or something similar..from 'dynamic' or something similar. That means you'll use only the AMD card  and it can be updated.

05/26/2014 01:20 AM

Author Icon
xcftw
Peon

Just an update - It's been a long day! I had to reinstall Windows 8.1. The system refresh I did the other day rolled me back to Windows 8 so before I updated Bios I wanted the operating system updated. It took me several tries and a lot of research to finally get the os operated, and then I had to fix the issues that arose after the update. 

I successfully got Bios updated and will look into the other things you mentioned.

So, once I switch my graphics to "static" in Bios what do I do next?

Thanks! 

Statistics
84724 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 5 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.