Topic Title: Overclocking Crash Issue
Topic Summary:
Created On: 05/25/2014 06:38 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05/25/2014 06:38 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Hobgoblinpie
Peon

I usually overclock my Laptop without a problem, however this time as issue has arisen, and it is particularly strange. I'm writing from the laptop that has this problem, and this problem does NOT manifest itself when I do not have the AMD drivers installed. 

The events were as follows:

1. Overclock using AMD GPU Clock Tool

2. Restart the laptop without restoring the default clocks (never heard about this being an issue before, apparently I'm the only one with this problem).

3. Upon restart, Laptop invariably crashes to either a Black Screen, a Grey Screen, or a Blue screen with faint vertical bars.

4. Having tried many different permutations of restarting with the same application back on default settings, and uninstalling & resinstalling the AMD drivers, the only solution that works permanently is removing the AMD drivers completely.

I'm failing to understand exactly why this would be, but it seems pretty clear to me that it is a software issue, rather than a hardware issue. Possibly (probably) a conflict of some type, but as to have to deal with it, I am at a total loss. I would prefer not to have to reinstall windows, and all my applications and games, but if it comes down to it, I'll have to. So if anyone has any idea how to fix this, I'm open to all suggestions. Thanks.

Edit: Realised I didn't mention my specs: Alienware M15x with an ATI Mobility 5850M (overclocked when playing games to ATI 5870M clocks).

05/25/2014 07:19 PM

Author Icon
Practikill
Grinding Levels

As far as I know, it is not wise to overclock a laptop.

They are designed for a certain heat disapation, and you can't really upgrade the cooling.

I think you may have been getting away with it for a while, but now your GPU is borked.

-------------------------
 05/25/2014 07:34 PM

Author Icon
Hobgoblinpie
Peon

Originally posted by: Practikill As far as I know, it is not wise to overclock a laptop.

They are designed for a certain heat disapation, and you can't really upgrade the cooling.

I think you may have been getting away with it for a while, but now your GPU is borked.

That is what I originally thought - however, to test what you're saying, I tried overclocking without the drivers, and it works fine. I tried safe mode, and there are no crashes. The only time it doesn't work is when the AMD drivers are installed - at which point it crashes after a few minutes. If the GPU was borked, I'd assume it would be all the time, and not in certain circumstances.

05/26/2014 02:34 PM

Author Icon
Hobgoblinpie
Peon

Managed to find a solution. Might as well post it in case someone else has the same issue:

1. Uninstall the AMD drivers and restart your laptop.

2. Open the AMD GPU Clock Tool, and set your card to the normal maximum clocks (for the Dell ATi 5850M, that would be 625Mhz core and 1000Mhz Memory).

3. Install the AMD Drivers, and when prompted, restart.

4. Open up AMD Control Centre, and head to AMD Overdrive. Set the maximum settings to what you would normally use in AMD GPU Clock Tool.

5. Never use AMD GPU Clock Tool again.

05/26/2014 03:41 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Originally posted by: Hobgoblinpie

5. Never use AMD GPU Clock Tool again.

Best advice ever...

-------------------------

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

Statistics
84696 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 4 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.