Topic Title: BSOD After driver update
Topic Summary:
Created On: 06/07/2014 10:22 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 06/07/2014 10:22 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
richardlucas
Peon

I am using an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5145 in my laptop. It has worked very well for me, never have had any complaints. However, most recently while trying out a new video game it was recommended I update my driver. So I followed the instructions, came to the AMD website, and updated my driver from here directly.

In the "Download drivers" area I entered the following information:

Step 1:  Select the type of system that you have:

Notebook graphics

Step 2:  Select the product family your product belongs to:

Radeon HD Series

Step 3:  Select your product:

Mobility Radeon HD 5xxx Series

Step 4:  Select the supported operating system that you have:

Windows 7 - 64bit

After filling this out I was prompted to download the following file:

14-4-mobility-win7-win8-win8.1-64-dd-ccc-whql

After doing so, and installing, all seemed to be working fine. 3 days have gone by and then today out of nowhere I received BSOD 3 or 4 times. Also a few times I've had my driver stop responding but then regain control shortly after which ended in programs crashing instead of my entire pc.

I've noticed the crashes mainly occur while I am playing a video game, and  minimize the game to use my browser to obtain information regarding the game, and then when I attempt to return to the game, BSOD.

I've always been able to go between my browser and my game without difficulty, until I downloaded the driver update.

I'm not sure when the last time I updated my drivers was before this.. (Which was 3 days ago) So I'm pretty certain it has to do with this update I've received.

I'm not certain what other information may be needed to help fix this, or how to obtain it for that matter. If anyone could assist me that would be great.

06/07/2014 10:43 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Before doing anything, go to Windows Update and run it. Pay special attention to 'optional' and 'recommended' updates.

To install new AMD graphics drivers:

1. IMPORTANT: All Windows Updates should be current, including the 'optional/suggested' updates
2. IMPORTANT: Disable all anti-virus/ad blockers/anti-malware/ anti-anything before trying to install
3. IMPORTANT: Netframework is required and must be the latest version. (from Windows Update)

If you don't follow the above steps don't even bother trying to update your graphics card.

Create a system restore point before, just in caes.

Download the drivers for your computer to the desktop. Follow steps 1-5 ( http://support.amd.com/en-us/download ).
 Do not use 'auto-detect and install.

Delete existing drivers from your computer:

In computer control panel select 'uninstall a program'

For computers with Intel processors:
Select AMD install manager and choose 'express uninstall all AMD software'
Including the install manager.

For computers with AMD processors:
Select AMD install manager and 'custom uninstall' the graphics drivers and CCC only.

Reboot

Install the new driver suite.

Reboot

-------------------------

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

Statistics
84350 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.