Topic Title: CCC 14.4 installing 7400m series driver for a 6490m gpu?
Topic Summary: CCC 14.4 installing the wrong display driver
Created On: 08/26/2014 10:06 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/26/2014 10:06 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
AGlassDarkly
Peon

Hi, I hope someone can help me with this. I have an HP Pavilion laptop with with Windows 7 64-bit and a Radeon HD 6490m graphics card (full PC specs below).

Short version: CCC 14.4 installs the wrong graphics card driver onto my computer (driver software for a 7400m series card, when I have a 6490m) and I wonder if there's another version of CCC, or some other source, from which I can get the proper, latest graphics card driver? Also, I get the "cannot be started, currently no settings that can be configured..." error message when I try to open CCC.

Long version:

When I downloaded and installed the latest Catalyst Control Centre software for my laptop, which is version 14.4 [I'm afraid I don't know which version I had installed previously, if any], the graphics card driver that it installed on my laptop is for a 7400m series graphics card. Once the driver was installed, the resolution on my screen was lowered and it went to Windows Aero theme. I checked my device manager and under Display adapters it listed a Radeon HD 7400m series graphics card, where it used to list a 6490m graphics card.

I right-clicked on the graphics card in device manager and clicked "Update Driver Software...", chose "Search automatically for updated driver software" in the wizard, and let it run; once the download and installation completed it told me it had updated the drivers to the latest version and told me to restart my computer. Once I did this, my resolution and theme was back to normal, and when I checked device manager it said I had a Radeon HD 6490m graphics card at version 8.882.2.3000 (which is the latest version on the laptop manufacturer's website).

I've also tried running AMD's Driver Autodetect utility, but this detects that I have a "Radeon HD 7xxxm" series graphics card. See image:

Device manager and AMD Driver Autodetect conflicting messages

Moreover, after installing CCC 14.4, when I try to open CCC from the context menu I get the error message: "Catalyst Control Centre cannot be started. There are currently no settings that can be configured using Catalyst Control Centre".

Why doesn't Catalyst Control Centre start?

Why does Driver Autodetect think I have a different graphics card?

Why does CCC install a driver which doesn't seem to work with my graphics card (as evidenced by poor resolution and reversion to Aero theme)?

Is there another version of CCC which I could install, which has the latest version of the proper 6490m driver included? As I've said, AMD's Driver Autodetect utility is not helpful for this purpose, since it tells me to install a 7400m driver.

I read in a different topic that "the 7490m is essentially a rebadged 6490m", and this might have something to do with it. But I don't know what that means or why it might be causing me problems.

System specs:

Operating system: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1

System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard

System Model: HP Pavilion dv6-6176sa Notebook PC

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2310M CPU @ 2.10GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.1GHz

BIOS: InsydeH2O Version 03.60.48F.13

Memory: 4096MB RAM

Graphics card: ATI Radeon HD 6490m

Current driver version: 8.882.2.3000

[Please ask if you need any other information]

08/26/2014 12:10 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Probably because you have switchable graphics. Please read

-------------------------

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

08/26/2014 01:05 PM

Author Icon
AGlassDarkly
Peon

Thanks for your reply. So my laptop can't use the latest CCC because it has switchable graphics. What is the most up-to-date version of CCC that it can use? Do you know?

08/26/2014 02:49 PM

Author Icon
AGlassDarkly
Peon

Let me put it another way: is there any way I can install a newer version of the 6490m driver than 8.882.2.3000? That is the version that the laptop manufacturer supplies on their website, but I understand that there are newer versions.

However, whenever I try to update using device manager or the AMD Gaming Evolved app, they say my graphics card is up to date. Meanwhile, simply installing the latest CCC gives me an unsupported driver (as described in the OP).

Are newer drivers than 8.882.2.3000 simply not supported on my laptop, or is there a way I can install one? (I hope this question makes sense).

08/26/2014 05:27 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Absolutely...do a google search for Leshcat drivers. Very popular. What you will need to do, however, is get a working driver set from HP....it doesn't matter how old it is. Or you could roll back to the previous drivers that worked for you. The reason is, Leshcat drivers install over the existing (working) driver set. Note that Leshcat drivers are for 64bit only. They install the latest Intel/AMD drivers and do not screw up the 'switchable' feature. Check back with us...let us know how it went.

-------------------------

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

08/27/2014 02:33 AM

Author Icon
AGlassDarkly
Peon

Originally posted by: stumped Absolutely...do a google search for Leshcat drivers. Very popular. What you will need to do, however, is get a working driver set from HP....it doesn't matter how old it is. Or you could roll back to the previous drivers that worked for you. The reason is, Leshcat drivers install over the existing (working) driver set. Note that Leshcat drivers are for 64bit only. They install the latest Intel/AMD drivers and do not screw up the 'switchable' feature. Check back with us...let us know how it went.

Thanks for your help. I have now got a working driver and CCC (I think it's version 11.9) from HP. I'll check out Leshcat and let you know how it went.

Statistics
85773 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.